The Game of Thrones Season 4 Season 4 premiere (Season 4, Episode 1, "Two Swords") is just days away, and we finally have an episode-specific promo that gives us a taste of what's to come in the world of Westeros and beyond.
So, what exactly does this promo reveal about the first episode? We've broken it down shot by shot to examine the clues:
1. The great slave city of Mereen. The promo opens with Missandei giving Dany a little history lesson, explaining that "a thousand slaves died building the great pyramid of Mereen." Sounds like a lovely place.
2. Dany's next conquest. At this point, it should come as a no surprise to anyone that Dany is planning to attack this city. "And now an army of former slaves is marching to her gates," she replies. We see some of that march with Dany, Jorah, Ser Barristan, and Missandei at the head of a long trail of Unsullied at :05.
3. Is Jaime out of a job? Jaime is a member of the King's Guard, which is a lifetime commitment, like the Night's Watch, but at :10 Tywin tells his son, "You can't serve in the King's Guard with one hand." While Tywin probably has a point — it's hard to, well, guard the king without your sword hand — we have a feeling Jaime isn't going to take kindly to that. In fact, at the end of this shot we see him starting to draw a sword. Is he going to try to learn to fight with his left hand?
4. Joffrey is still a smug little bastard. Just look at his face at :11. Don't you want to punch it?
5. Trouble for Jaime and Cersei. At :11 Jaime tries to kiss his illicit lover, but Cersei pulls away. "I murdered people so I could be here with you!" Jaime declares at :13. We see more of that scene in this sneak peek, and things are not looking up for this twincest pair.
6. The Hound grabs Arya. At :14 we see the Hound run up and grab Arya by the shoulder, hard. It looks like he's trying to stop her from entering a building. Is he looking out for her?
7. Wildlings south of the Wall. Between :15 and :19 we see a lot of wildlings, and Jon warning his Night's Watch brothers, "There's a band of wildlings south of the Wall already." At :19 we get a glimpse of new wildling character Styr.
8. Sansa looks upset. At :20 there's a shot of Sansa looking distressed. Given that she's stuck in a loveless marriage and half of her family is dead, we can't really blame her.
9. Tyrion's resistance. At :21 Shae tries to kiss Tyrion, and he draws back. Well, that's unusual.
10. Arya and The Hound fight. At :21 we get a glimpse of Arya and The Hound in an epic fight.
11. Hello, Oberyn. At :23 we see new character Oberyn Martell, who grabs an angry-looking Tyrion's chin. "Tell your father I'm here, and the Lannisters aren't the only ones who pay their debts."
12. Oberyn makes a dramatic point. At :25 we see what appears to be Oberyn stabbing someone's hand, or at least making a dramatic scene with a knife. He's not wasting any time stirring up trouble!
13. Ygritte raises her bow. At :26 Ygritte seems to be pointing her arrow at someone. Who can it be? Or is this shot not what it appears?
14. Dany's dragons fight. The promo closes with a shot of Dany's dragons fighting at :27. They're getting big — and wild.
Check it out yourself!