Game of Thrones has featured a number of great fight scenes over the years. Now with the Mountain and Oberyn facing off in Season 4, Episode 8 in what’s reported to be the best yet, let’s take a look back at our favorites we’ve seen so far.
5. Ned Stark vs. Jaime Lannister. The first big clash between the Starks and Lannisters just might have been the best, with proud Ned Stark squaring off against pre-redemption, full-villain Jaime. Sadly, their battle was cut short by a Lannister soldier stabbing a spear into Ned’s leg, prompting Jaime to knock said soldier unconscious.
4. Syrio Forel’s Last Stand. Syrio was awesome, and he proved his awesomeness by taking on four Lannister soldiers with armor and steel swords with nothing but a wooden stick. We assume he met his match when Kingsguard member Meryn Trant stepped up to face him, but who knows? Maybe Syrio will one day fight again.
3. Brienne vs. Northern Trio. Brienne wasn’t a fan of the way three Northern soldiers had killed three innocent women, learning that they were given “two quick deaths.” She responded in kind, killing two of the men quickly before prolonging the third’s demise. Jaime was a little better behaved after he witnessed her at work.
2. The Hound vs. the Mountain. The Hound faced off against his big brother at the Tourney of the Hand, saving Loras Tyrell in the process. The fight was only stopped by King Robert demanding it, but we could have watched these two brutes go at it all day.
1. The Hound vs. Beric Dondarrion. Beric Dondarrion with a flaming sword. The Hound with his fear of fire. A fight to the death. This fight had everything going for it, including Beric’s spooky resurrection at its conclusion. It just might be our favorite to date, and the Mountain and Oberyn have a lot to live up to!
What's your favorite fight scene yet? Let us know in the comments below!
Catch the next episode of Game of Thrones Season 4 on June 1, 2014 at 9 p.m. ET on HBO.