5 Reasons Bill Engvall Will Win Dancing With the Stars 2013
The Dancing With the StarsSeason 17 Finals are coming our way next week, and with just four dancers left, the fight for the Mirror Ball will be fiercer than ever. This season has been riddled with shocking elimination, so it's hard to predict who will take home the crown. Still, there are plenty of reasons to think Bill Engvall really does have a shot at the top spot.
Why do we think this blue collar comedian could walk away the champ? Here are the five biggest things Bill has working in his favor:
1. The "underdog" factor. While it's hard to say if someone who's clearly pulling in a large chunk of votes really counts as an underdog, Bill certainly has underdog appeal. He doesn't have dance experience and he's by far the oldest contestant left. People like to reward hard workers who strive to get better even when they don't have much basic skill going for them, and Bill clearly fits the profile.
2. His positive attitude. Despite the many obstacles to his success, Bill always stays upbeat and focused on the goal. His obvious appreciation for his pro partner, Emma Slater, also goes a long way to endearing him to the audience. You just wanna see this guy succeed because he seems like he's having a blast.
3. He’s relatable. Bill's been called the "people's champion" for a reason. Clearly, America is voting for him because he keeps sticking around, no matter how many times he lands at the bottom of the leaderboard. Why? Well, he's likable thanks to that positive attitude, and, perhaps even more importantly, he's relatable. There's a reason the underdog thing we mentioned matters so much, especially this year. Bill is someone the audience can imagine themselves being — an everyday guy who's giving this crazy dancing show a shot. Clearly, that makes people dial in for him.
4. He brings the fun. For almost every single dance, the judges have the same feedback for Bill: your technique is "meh" at best, but you made us smile. Even when Bill is off tempo and missing steps, he's fun to watch. He's a bit goofy without being so bad it evokes secondhand embarrassment. We always look forward to seeing him hit the dance floor, because we know it'll be a good time.
5. He actually is getting better. Bill hit a slump in the last few weeks, but his Argentine Tango in the Semifinals put him back on the improvement track. In fact, it was so good Carrie Ann Inaba even thinks she should have given it a 9. If Bill can bring that kind of grace and tempo to his Finale performances, he's sure to wow America — and he might even scare up high enough judges' votes to help eek out a win.
Do you think Bill will win Dancing With the Stars Season 17? Let us know why or why not in the comments below!
Catch the Dancing With the Stars Season 17 finale on Monday, November 25, 2013 at 8 p.m. ET/PT and Tuesday, November 26 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.