5 Reasons Emily Maynard Fans Will Love Desiree Hartsock
Every girl who vies for love on The Bachelorette is like a unique, delicate rose. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Therefore, Season 9’s Desiree Hartsock and Season 8 Bachelorette Emily Maynard are, like, totally the same... but different. Ya know? Well, even if you don’t, we know something that’s possibly true: Des and Emily are equally beautiful and amazing ladies, and are both deserving of a magical love and romance.
So, while Des and Emily have both made out with Sean Lowe, and then broken up with him, that’s not all they have in common. Check out our list of five reasons that you Emilovers will also adoraDes
1. They’re both scrappy. Remember the time that Emily told Kalon McMahon that he could helicopter right out of her backwoods hoodrat weave on the same bird he came in on? Yeah, that’s what you get for calling her family “baggage.” Des is similarly terrifying, in an awesome way, and would also be a welcome member of any lady gang. Because no matter what sweet ride, pimp pad, and gorgeous gowns ABC hands her, she’s still Dessy from the block.
2. They’re B-F-F with G-O-D. For all you wholesome types who rue the day the heathens took over television, you can at least be relieved that for a couple hours a week, both Emily and Des lead their men on God-blessed adventures. Meaning, for every hot tub bubble fight being shown for ratings, there’s probably also a church service they’re checking out off-screen. Hallelujah.
3. They’re both major fashion mavens. Emily Maynard made it okay to yell “TOGA TOGA” in a non-Animal House way, when she sported a one-shouldered white dress without irony. These days, she works her style magic on her fashion and lifestyle blog, and even designs a line of jewelry. Meanwhile, Ms. Des keeps on draping and dreaming as a bridal stylist and aspiring fashion designer. Homegirl made her own first-night dress on The Bachelor, and we’ve heard word some of her other looks will debut this season!
4. They have tear-jerking sob stories. Emily’s fiance died while she was pregnant with Ricki. Then she was engaged to Brad Womack, but he didn’t love her the way she needed (or whatever), so they broke up. All she wanted was to be the bride instead of the fiancée and she finally... well, see 1-3. Meanwhile, Des grew up super poor, living in tents with nada, except her unbreakable spirit. She only wants to be married once, guys. Will she find her husband during the “fairytale” journey we keep hearing about?
5. They are super family-oriented. Des sobbed on The Bachelor about wanting to find a marriage as strong as her parents’. And her brother... well, she loves him, no matter what comes out of his mouth, and won't stand for anyone talking smack about him. Emily nearly tore Kalon’s falsies off when she heard what he said about her baby girl, and she made no secret of the fact that she wanted to cozy up with a boy with a solid family too. So, keep your eye out for Des to glom onto someone with family values up the ying, and maybe a sweet story too.
Bonus: They keep it tight Nothing gets us momentarily off of our pudding cup binge diet like the image of some truly fit girls making boys fight over them. FINE, we won’t have that sixth calzone. We get it: If you keep it tight, you find love, right? Noted. Now, where’s that parmesan shaker?