Ryan Murphy Wants Jessica Lange Back on ‘American Horror Story’
We’re gaga for Lady Gaga, and Sarah Paulson is a queen, but we all know Jessica Lange is the baddest witch in town.
Jessica took a chance on Ryan Murphy when he pursued her for AHS’s debut season — and her performances over the next four years won her a Golden Globe and two Emmys, not to mention a younger fanbase.
Now the prolific TV producer is prepping a Murder House-Coven crossover season, blending elements of two of Jessica’s seasons on the show, and he wants Jessica front and center.
“I think she would [return] if I bribed her enough, you know?” Ryan told TV Guide last week.
“I haven’t really talked to her about it at all because we are still figuring out that story, but I think we do want to do that.”
Jessica isn’t exactly on board, however. At an April 21 event promoting Feud, her new show with Ryan Murphy, she said she hasn’t considered returning for more Horror.
“I have no plans to at this point, no,” she told Entertainment Tonight.
The 68-year-old was a bit more verbose a year ago, when Charlie Rose asked her about the prospect.
“No, I had four years with that, four seasons, and each year was a marvelous character,” she told the PBS host.
“Everything changed from one year to another which made it very interesting to me. But no, I think sometimes you come to the end of something and it has had its natural [course].”
So Jessica seems out — unless Ryan really can bribe her back — but we’re holding out hope for other Murder House actors, like Connie Britton and Dylan McDermott.
“I’ve [already] started going to actors from both of the seasons, quietly, saying, ‘I think in this window, if you could fit us in,’” Ryan told Entertainment Weekly in October.
Alternatively, Ryan has other projects in which Jessica could potentially star.
The second season of Feud, for example, will focus on the relationship between Prince Charles and Princess Diana; and we can easily see Jessica as Queen Elizabeth II!
American Horror Story returns later this year.