The Godmother of Soul is coming to save the day! American Horror Story is returning for its fourth season this fall, with Freak Show set in the 1950s carnival world of Jupiter, Florida.
TVLine just revealed some exciting scoop: Singer/actress Patti LaBelle will be joining the Freak Show cast for four episodes, playing the mother of Gabourey Sidibe’s character. Patti's character reportedly does not sing, but she is described as "a local townsperson who begins to unravel the murderous secrets of Twisty the clown killer."
You solve that crime, Miss Patti — and try not to get killed along the way!
Gabourey is a returning member of the AHS family, having starred in Coven, so maybe Patti, 70, will be a regular after Freak Show.
Executive Producer Tim Minear recently told TVLine that AHS4 is “the best season so far,” adding, “It’s not like the first three seasons." We loved the first three seasons, but we'll take his word on this being the best one so far. It sounds like a blast, with tons of returning favorites and new stars joining the fold.
Here are some previously announced roles:
• Jessica Lange as Elsa Mars, the freak show's German ex-pat of a manager.
• Kathy Bates as Ethel Darling.
• Sarah Paulson as Bette and Dot Tattler, conjoined twins who share a body.
• Angela Bassett as Desiree Dupree.
• Michael Chiklis as Wendell del Toredo, a strongman who's the husband of Desiree and the ex-husband of Ethel.
• Evan Peters as Jimmy Darling, the son of Ethel and Wendell.
• Emma Roberts as a character named Maggie.
• John Carroll Lynch as a villain, most likely the clown himself.
• Wes Bentley as Eddie, a dark tormentor from Ethel's past who wants revenge.
Are you excited for the new season? It's coming in October, so start "Freak"-ing out now!