Music mogul Jimmy Iovine is joining American Idol as the show’s first official in-house mentor! Compared to big names like Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler, Jimmy might not be as recognizable. But trust us, this dude is a big freaking deal in the entertainment industry! So who exactly is this guy? Educate yourself on all things Jimmy Iovine with these trivia tidbits.
1. Let’s hear it for New York! Like Idol judges Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler, Jimmy Iovine is a proud New Yorker. He was born in Brooklyn.
2. Jimmy got his start as a recording engineer, working with musical legends like John Lennon and Bruce Springsteen. (Hmmm. Should we expect a lot of name dropping on American Idol this season?)
3. Jimmy also has an impressive resume as a producer. He produced albums for U2 and Stevie Nicks back in the day.
4. In 1990, Jimmy co-founded the hip-hop-heavy record label Interscope with retail millionaire Ted Field. He is currently the chairman of Interscope, which now boasts acts like Eminem, Lady Gaga, and U2.
5. We don’t know if we should blame or thank Jimmy Iovine for introducing the world to Gerardo (aka Rico Suave), and Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch during Interscope’s first year of operation.
7. Jimmy’s also dabbled into film. He produced Eminem’s hit flick 8 Mile and 50 Cent’s Get Rich or Die Trying – instant hip-hop movie classics!
8. Jimmy has four children, who probably earned cool points with their friends because of their father’s music connections.
9. Jimmy is married to Vicki Ann McCarty, a former Playboy playmate who is now the author of the best-selling book series, The Girlfriend’s Guide.
10. Jimmy’s other business ventures include a line of high tech headphones with Dr. Dre.