It was the best of times. It was the worst of times, as Charles Dickens might say of season 12 on American Idol. Every year, after the winner has been crowned and picking the last piece of confetti out of her hair, we ponder these extremes. Luckily, despite the decline in ratings, this season was filled with unforgettable performances, funny judging SNAFUs, and some downright touching moments. Here are our fave 5 moments from American Idol 2013:
1. Candice Glover’s rendition of “Lovesong” – As Candice mentioned in her interview with the media today, she was definitely hurt after not being chosen by the judges as part of their ideal Top Three about six weeks ago. As she said, though, it “gave me a boost,” and she returned with a vengeance that following week with “Don’t Make Me Over” and “Lovesong”. Randy Jackson hailed it as "one of the greatest performances in the history of 12 seasons of American Idol,” and we tend to agree. Not only was it amazing, but it was wonderful to watch her transform into someone who was truly “in it to win it” before our eyes.
2. Kree Harrison’s hometown visit – Come on, unless you don’t have a heart, you felt that one down to your bones. After losing her mother and father to tragic accidents, Kree’s family and friends had risen up around the amazing singer, and that was especially evident when she went home to Texas. Of course, we went through a box of tissues when she visited her childhood home, but maybe that was just us. Was it? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
3. One word: ZOANETTE. She hit us like a thunderbolt in her initial audition, talking of wanting to sing for President Obama and causing Keith Urban to fall out of her chair. We remember thinking she sounded terrible, though, and were wondering why she got through to Hollywood. While we knew she’d never win it, we changed our opinion during that unforgettable impromptu Hollywood Week performance when she sang about Pooh Snaps while playing the drums! And who could forget her “Circle Of Life” performance? Wonder what she’s up to now – maybe we’ll have to look into that!
4. Angie Miller’s performance of “You Set Me Free” during Hollywood Week – Who could ever forget that? Not us! It seems like yesterday the cute, young Bostonian came out on the stage, explaining to the judges that the song was “about being set free from baggage.” They seemed skeptical, as were we, as others have had trouble singing original songs in the past. About five notes in, we knew we were in for something special, and the judges began mumbling among themselves, with Keith exclaiming “Good Lord!” We’re with you, Keith...always have been.
5. Nicki Minaj’s Nicki-Names – We know there has been a lot of backlash surrounding Nicki this season, but we’re just going to come out and say it – we’re going to miss her. While at times unprofessional, she added a lot of spice to a tired format. Our fave, however, was during the auditions when she bestowed her “Nicki-Names” on everyone in order to remember them. Just a few for old time’s sake: Fonzie, Gumby, Booby, Bunny, Collard Greens, Finger Lickin’ Good, Top Hat, and Big Crazy Barb (that was Zoanette!). In case you don’t remember, check out this video!
What do you think of our list of best moments of American Idol 2013? Think about what you would add to our list while you watch our honorable mention video of Candice Glover winning Season 12!