After finding out that this handsome young man has had a debilitating stutter since the age of six years old but loses it when he sings, the American Idol judges were nearly speechless themselves. After his initial audition, Keith Urban managed to get out a hushed comment, saying he should “sing all the time.” And there wasn’t a dry eye in the house.
Since then, the Cuban-born but Miami-raised ice cream scooper has continued to impress, and here are our five reasons why Lazaro Arbos could be the singer who will win American Idol 2013.
1. All of America (and possibly distant parts of the world) are pulling for this sweet young man whose bow tie has become his signature look. There’s no denying his backstory is going to help when it comes voting time.
2. His vocals don't seem to matter. As Nicki Minaj said after his Las Vegas round 4 performance, “What I love about you is that you always give us Lazaro.” That's all his fans seem to care about.
3. He’s got the support of his fellow Idol peers. As we saw on Angela Miller’s Twitter page the other day, she was asking that everyone support him during the Las Vegas round. We’ll see if that support continues once they have to compete against one another!
4. While we have predicted that a girl will win this season, Lazaro would still help the show break its long-running WGWG (White Guy With Guitar) curse.
5. While it’s ultimately up to the viewers, the American Idol fans have proved for 12 seasons now that their feedback holds a lot of weight. And they really dig this guy.