As everyone has suspected for a while now, the guys from the Top 10 of American Idol were voted off each week, leaving us with our first ever all-girl Top 5. Girl Power!
After years of guys winning it all, we can’t help but take a brief moment to celebrate that a girl will actually win Season 12. That is, unless, the Lazis mount a protest and insist the show bring their guy back to perform (oh, the horror)!
While the initial part of the season might have been fairly predictable, from this point forward, the competition is truly anyone’s to game. Regardless, here's how we think the contestants stack up in our Top 5 Power Rankings:
5. Janelle Arthur: While we agree that Nicki Minaj’s “little marshmallow” has the “best friend quality” that the controversial judge describes, her vocals, while stellar, are not at the same level as the other four girls. If she can pull out another performance like “I Will,” she could surprise us and move up the ranks.
4. Amber Holcomb: Sadly, we almost put her at #5 after being in the bottom two this week, but we just have to have faith that America will start getting Amber’s appeal. The girl kills it vocally, week after week, and is about as cute as a button. What’s not to like? We agree with Jimmy Iovine — we just don’t get it.
3. Angie Miller: While we once predicted this girl would win it all, she’s had a few missteps here and there while girls like Amber and Kree are continuing to raise the bar. If she can give us another moment like her performance of her original song “You Set Me Free” during Hollywood Week, she could easily make the finale.
2. Candice Glover: Oh boy, it’s hard to put this girl at anything other than #1 after that unforgettable performance of “Love Song” this week. But she hasn’t had the widespread appeal of some of the other girls. This was one of the first times she showed us she could be a contemporary artist, and if she keeps it up, she could definitely take the crown. For now, however, we’re keeping her at #2.
1. Kree Harrison: This is a tough choice, as this week we detected just the slightest bit of complacency from our girl Kree. We think that’s likely why Jimmy pointed to the fact that she can be a bit boring, as he likely felt the need to light a fire under her bottom. If she can get her charisma to match her vocals, there’s no stopping this girl!