Andrew Garfield’s Oscars segment with Batkid may have been scrapped from the ceremony, but it definitely wasn’t because of Andrew’s big ego.
Earlier this week, Page Six claimed that Andrew backed out of appearing on stage to present with Miles Scott, the 5-year-old boy struggling with cancer who recently spent a day as Batman in San Francisco, because he didn’t like his lines during dress rehearsal. Reportedly, Andrew threw a tantrum, devastating Miles and his family.
This doesn’t sound like the Spider-Man we know and love, so we’re relieved to find out straight from Andrew’s rep, Rupert Fowler, that the story was completely fabricated.
“In full collaboration with the Academy and the show writer, Andrew prepared a segment for the Oscars to honor Miles Scott as the true hero he is,” Rupert’s statement said, according to Us Weekly. “At some point overnight on Saturday/Sunday morning, it was decided by those running the show that the segment didn’t work in the ceremony.”
Which means it totally wasn’t Andrew’s fault that Avengers star Chris Evans had to be called in last minute to fill in — that was all decided by the powers that be at the Oscars.
“They decided to pull it — Andrew and Miles were equally upset,” Rupert continued. “The producers arranged for Miles and his family to visit Disneyland on Monday and Andrew drove down to visit them and to bring Miles a personal gift. Andrew did the right thing for Batkid and anyone that says otherwise is flat out lying.”
Besides, for a 5-year-old, a day at Disneyland is probably way more fun than a stuffy awards ceremony — especially if it comes with presents from Spider-Man. We’d take that contingency plan any day.
Source: Us Weekly