We definitely don't want to see Mona die, but after seeing the promo for the episode, we can't help but be concerned. Why do we think next week could be her last? Here are the top six reasons.
1. Hanna is the most upset. Based on the promo, Hanna (Ashley Benson) is more upset by whatever goes down than the rest of the Liars. Who is she close to in a way her friends aren't? Caleb, her mom, and... Mona.
2. The writers have been making her extra sympathetic. Mona has always straddled the line between crazy and sympathetic, but over the last few episodes the writers have been pushing her softer side, showing that she's truly scared of Ali and has a lot of regrets about what she's done. Is that because they want to make sure the audience is upset when she dies?
4. She's living on borrowed time. In the books, Mona died when she fell off the cliff after revealing herself as the first "A" — something we were reminded of in Episode 11. The Pretty Little Liars show writers decided to keep her around, but perhaps her time finally ran out?
5. There's a reason someone might want to kill her. Mona was the original "A" and has never stopped playing the game. Any number of people might want her dead, from the current "A" to Alison (Sasha Pieterse) (assuming they aren't one and the same), to anyone else whose secrets she knows.
6. "One less liar." The promos have teased that we'll have "one less Liar" after the finale. Obviously, we're supposed to worry that one of the core four will bite it, but we kind of doubt that will happen. However, Mona is a major teller of lies, and there have been points in the series where she's kind of been an honorary fifth Liar, so maybe that's a clue.
Do you think Mona will die? Why or why not? Let us know in the comments below!
Catch the Pretty Little Liars Season 5 summer finale on Tuesday, August 26, 2014 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC Family.