Prince George made his first debut in three months today as he and his parents, Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, as he arrived at St. James’s Palace for his christening. George was rocking a fancy gown and an adorable smile, which is good because his little family just grew by seven!
We finally learned who would be fulfilling the role of godparents for the little royal tyke. And in true Will and Kate fashion, they took a unique approach to naming those who would help guide Prince George through his life. Here’s the full list of godparents for Prince George:
1. Zara Tindall: Prince William’s cousin, daughter of Princess Anne, who is close to the couple.
2. Oliver Baker: Close college friend of the couple.
3. Emilia Jardine-Paterson: Attended Marlborough College with Kate and is a longtime pal of William’s.
4. Earl “Hugh” Grosvenor: Son of the Duchess of Westminster, one of Will’s own godparents. He’s 22 and is one of the richest young men in Britain.
5. Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton: Served as private secretary for the couple and Prince Harry from 2005-2012, helping the couple in their public lives.
6. Julia Samuel: Close friend of Princess Diana and founder patron of Child Bereavement U.K., of which Will is also a patron.
7. William van Cutsem: The youngest of four van Cutsem brothers. The family provided a lot of support to William and Harry after Diana’s passing in 1997.
The biggest surprise is that Kate and Will didn’t name Prince Harry or Pippa Middleton as godparents. They were obvious choices, so we’re shocked.
Another important note about Prince George’s godparents is the close ties they have to the family. It’s been tradition to name tons of distantly-related foreign royals and not to name any pals. For example, Prince Williams’s godparents were former King Constantine II of Greece (his paternal cousin); Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy (his paternal cousin); the Duchess of Westminster; Lady Susan Hussey; Lord Romsey (his paternal cousin); and Sir Laurens van der Post.
Leave it to this groundbreaking couple to blaze their own path! Are you surprised Prince George has seven godparents? Sound off below.