5. Not-so-blessed Mother Mary It turned out Meredith’s patient Mary had more to worry about than labor pains: she also had a grade IV astrocytoma, meaning she only had months to live with her new baby girl. Good thing her doctor happened to be married to one of the best neurosurgeons in the nation. Bonus!
4. Coitus interruptus What do a couple of doctors gotta do to get some privacy? Oh right, sleep together in the sanctity of their own bedroom. You hear that, Cristina (Sandra Oh) and Owen (Kevin McKidd)? Not in the on-call room where doctors try to get some shut-eye, and certainly not in a conference room with a door that doesn't lock.
3. Divorce enforced It took some real backbone for Tyler to tell his parents to get a divorce, and luckily, Callie (Sara Ramirez) fixed his just in time. It's a favor to his parents, who would be happier without each other, and for us, because their fighting was frankly pretty exhausting to listen to.
2. The butterfly effect Of all of Derek's (Patrick Dempsey) brain surgeries, the removal of Mary's tumor seemed to be one of the most daunting. And it certainly looked like things were taking a turn for the worse in the OR. And Derek certainly looked downcast when he finished. But nope: everything turned out just swell.
1. Alex affronts April Alex (Justin Chambers) and April (Sarah Drew) have never been what you would call friends, but their relationship dramatically soured during this episode. He told her she was powerless, frantic, and—gasp—nasally. Sticks and stones may break her bones, but she can't say that words can never hurt her.