It’s a crazy mixed-up world when you can get the first 10 of Dancing With the Stars Season 17 at the start of the night and go home less than two hours later. But that’s what happened to Christina Milian and Mark Ballas in Week 5 (October 14).
They danced first on Most Memorable Year night and tied at the top of the judges’ leaderboard, but the scores this season are very close and Tom Bergeron had already warned us that a female celeb would be going home that night unless she was saved by judges’ scores. It’s sounding like that was Christina, who just didn’t get the fan votes she needed last week.
Christina and Mark were under the “not necessarily the Bottom Two” lights with Leah Remini and Tony Dovolani, the couple with the lowest score on the judges’ leaderboard. When it was announced that Christina and Mark were leaving, there were gasps in the audience — and probably a few at home.
The DWTS celebs, pros and judges were surprised as well, and many reacted on Twitter after the show.
• Carrie Ann Inaba tweeted, “Still in shock. @ChristinaMilian @MarkBallas you had a great performance tonight! Sorry to see u go so soon. #confused #dwts.”
• Elizabeth Berkley wrote, “@ChristinaMilian u r a great mama, superstar and inspiration to many. Your light is bright!!!!! #bless #newmusicisonitsway xoxo.”
• Cheryl Burke shared, “Thank u all for ur love & support! Wouldn't b here without u guys.I'm going 2 miss @MarkBallas & @ChristinaMilian so much! Won't be the same.”
• Brooke Burke-Charvet wrote, “Crazy night at #DWTS. Sad saying goodbye to Christina, she was so good. U gotta vote America, it's up to you too.”
• Sasha Farber tweeted, “@ChristinaMilian and @MarkBallas cant believe that, you guys did such a great job.”
• Val Chmerkovskiy wrote, “You were straight up a superstar!!! Thru and thru.. was a pleasure getting to know u, keep doing YOU babe @ChristinaMilian.”
• Christina talked to reporters right after the elimination, and also tweeted to her fans. “Well guys.. I guess you can stop doing all that voting I was asking y'all to do.. Sad but so happy I did this. Tonight was a great show,” Christina wrote, later adding, “It was fun while it lasted.. Mark your stuck with me now! Dance partners for life! Lol #teamMilianBallas.”
• Mark also tweeted, “Thanks for the on going support guys. I appreciate you all so much.. And thank you to #DWTS for the opportunity... Till next time x.”
Were you surprised to see Christina and Mark go home? Sound off below, and catch Dancing With the Stars on Mondays at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.