Do you belieeeeeeve that just happened? It doesn't feel right.
Dancing With the Stars Season 17, Week 8 was Cher Night, and Peta Murgatroyd had the PERFECT costume. But it wasn’t enough. Good dancing with Brant Daugherty wasn’t enough either, for some reason. They got triple 9s for their Foxtrot, then inexplicably lost their Dance Off to Leah Remini and Tony Dovolani. Brant ended up under the red lights next to his faux rival, Jack Osbourne. Jack won, just like he did last week when (somehow) he got a 10 for his Jive.
So Brant & Peta
were robbed will not make the top six. And isn't it strange to realize we're entering Week 9 with six couples still dancing? That's more than usual. Double elimination coming? Ever? No?
It was a weird night, but not because of Cher, who was fine. She did what she was expected to do — loved everything, looked amazingly Cher-ish, and said something that got bleeped out so we know it must’ve been great.
Somehow Elizabeth Berkley and Val Chmerkovskiy ended up close to the bottom, but with scores this close that may be irrelevant. Six points between top and bottom, even including three extra points for the Dance Off, probably doesn't change too much. Bill Engvall and Emma Slater were at the bottom (again) and they were the second couple to be announced safe. Is he a lock to make the Finals? He seems perfectly comfortable in that bottom spot, and even though he's getting decent scores (as opposed to 6s or 7s), he still seems like the "underdog," so people might be giving him tons of votes. For all we know, his score/vote combination is the highest of the group. Maybe this has been his season all along?
Amber Riley and Derek Hough didn’t have to do the Dance Off since Derek won immunity again. He also won immunity with future winner Kellie Pickler when they did this last season. So he wins team dances, marathons, immunity, Mirror Ball trophies, Emmys, etc. The boy's all win.
But does he win the shirtless battle when it’s Val vs. Derek? That’s a close one. If Maks is Sex on a Stick then Val might be Sex on a Cracker. Either way, yum.
Here’s a quick rundown of where the couples stood on Week 8:
Corbin & Karina: 27 + 3 = 30
Jack & Cheryl: 27 + 3 = 30
Amber & Derek: 28
Leah & Tony: 25 + 3 = 28
Brant & Peta: 27
Elizabeth & Val: 25
Bill E. & Emma: 24
Read on for a full recap of the Week 8 action:
CHER PERFORMS: Love the huge image of Cher’s face before she even starts singing from her platform high in the sky. She looks like she’d be right at home in DWTS’s skimpy costumes. She’s 67! Do you believe that? She sounds like she’s doing a karaoke sing-a-long to “Believe,” but she’s Cher so it’s still awesome. Chaz Bono in the audience, near Jennifer Lopez.
1. Corbin Bleu and Karina Smirnoff — Argentine Tango — Corbin had a production emergency on his film set, so Karina choreographed it without his input Tuesday night. He couldn’t put all of his focus on the dances, since he’s so busy and distracted. Love Karina’s Cher wig - and Cher’s purple jacket at the judges’ table. Corbin always looks so confident and in control when he dances. Wow, he lifts her like it’s nothing. Seamless. Just realized this is from the movie Julianne Hough was also in, Burlesque.
JUDGES: Cher didn’t want to start. Carrie Ann Inaba said he brought his A-game once again. It was passionate, the lifts took her breath away. She thought his footwork caught underneath him and wasn’t as smooth as it could’ve been. Bruno Tonioli said his performances always have a wonderful depth. Tonight some passes were not as clean as he can normally do. They always nitpick him. Cher said she thought it was amazing. She just saw a movie about the Tango and it was beautiful and so were these two.
SCORES: 9, 9 (“Cher - nine”), 9 = 27. Underscored. If Jack got a 10 last week, Corbin deserved one this week. Is Cher just going to match the other judges’ scores? Corbin gets to plug his anti-bullying project, which is good.
Vote for Corbin & Karina: 1-800-868-3406
2. Leah Remini and Tony Dovolani — Viennese Waltz — Leah assumes Cher will look at the big picture and artistry instead of “you could’ve done that lift better.” OK, but what if they could do a lift better, is that not a valid comment? Their song, “I Got You Babe,” is about how Sonny and Cher met at a coffee shop. More people should break into dance in the middle of coffee shops. Starbucks should clear space. LOVE the cast swaying along as they watch. Sweet dance. Tony is much hotter than Sonny so it’s definitely not authentic.
JUDGES: Bruno said all sweet, loveliness and innocence. Side by side, they were like Alice in Wonderland. Lovely, but she has to be careful in hold. Cher has vowed to knee Bruno if he gets in her personal space. DO IT. Carrie Ann said Leah looked like she was having the time of her life out there. Leah looked off timing in points; the VW is faster than people realize and she got a little behind the music. Cher said she’s coming at it from a different angle. “I was just enthralled that you could interpret something I went through that day at that coffee shop.”
SCORES: 8, 9, 8 = 25 out of 30. OK, so Cher won’t be matching scores. Going for the heart-strings apparently works! This was nice, but did it deserve the same 9 as Corbin’s?
Vote for Leah & Tony: 1-800-868-3411
3. Brant Daugherty and Peta Murgatroyd — Foxtrot — Everyone had a hectic week. Brant aimed a little too high last week, he said. Peta came to the Pretty Little Liars set with him. Peta and Brant danced a bit with the female cast members. They lost almost two days from his PLL work, though. If they don’t get the top score they’ll be in the Dance Off and they’ll be bleeped, they feel. They get a little intensely competitive sometimes, but Peta’s costume is EVERYTHING. She sings along at the start of the dance. Cher should demand to take that outfit home. They even go up to the judges’ table to dance. Peta kisses him in the end. Full-on lip lock!
JUDGES: Tom asked Cher what she looks for when she’s auditioning dancers for her tour. She said it’s the “star quality.” Like the smiles that Peta and Brant gave that went together. Carrie Ann said it’s true, they have star quality. Brant started out good but not great and he’s improving. He keeps pushing himself. His knees are going in a lot and he’s not finishing his lines. It’s bugging Carrie Ann. Bruno said Brant has a lot to offer. The content is always flawless, every arrangement is done beautifully. He just needs refinement. Don’t always chase it and push it. It’s brilliant what he does, but he could do even better.
SCORES: 9, 9, 9 = 27 out of 30.
Vote for Brant & Peta: 1-800-868-3403
4. Elizabeth Berkley and Valentin Chmerkovskiy — Jazz — Val went shirtless to impress Cher — and everyone else. Worked! Sigh. His stress level was very high in rehearsals. They had a routine down but changed it when “Bang Bang” became available. Elizabeth wanted it. She has high expectations for herself. Isn’t she trained in Jazz? Carrie Ann mentioned something about that a couple of weeks ago. Love her costume too. Cher is going to love Val - she should hire him for her tours. Intense red-hot routine.
JUDGES: Cher said she was crying this week too about the show. She thought it was great and rough and liked that Elizabeth won. “I like it when” (totally bleeped out, so she must’ve said something good). Elizabeth thanked her for showing women can set their own rules. All the butt-kissing tonight! Bruno said something and Cher got giddy and couldn’t stop laughing. Bruno said because of all the intensity they lost some of the musical cues. Carrie Ann said Elizabeth was kind of one-dimensional in her anger. She was playing it all way up high, and she needs to point her toes a bit more. Elizabeth takes it well.
SCORES: 8, 9, 8 = 25 out of 30. They only gave Cher the 9 paddle, maybe. Val deserved a 10 for his costume alone.
Vote for Elizabeth & Val: 1-800-868-3405
5. Bill Engvall and Emma Slater — Disco — Bill had accepted the fact that they were going home last week. He felt it should’ve been him. There are better dancers in the competition, but he’s going after them. They have Disco to “Strong Enough.” Cher was one of his fantasy girls, along with Farrah Fawcett. He’s hoping she focuses on performance unlike Len’s technicality. Another great costume. You can’t help but smile when watching Bill and Emma. Love the spins. They got really ambitious this week! Tom joked “I wish you’d get into it more!”
JUDGES: Bruno said he really got the disco inferno going, even if it was sometimes mostly inferno. He was gagging with laughter at times. He was like John Travolta very very faded and very very far away, but he got the spirit. Carrie Ann called him “The Mayor of Dancing with the Stars.” He comes out and just makes her day better. He was off-beat, but she still loved it. This is one of Cher’s two favorite songs of her own. She said she was amazed that he could get her up in all those positions. Bill: “It’s a little blue pill.” Even though he missed a whole bunch of stuff, she still thought it was brilliant.
SCORES: 8, 8, 8 = 24 out of 30.
Vote for Bill E. & Emma: 1-800-868-3409
6. Jack Osbourne and Cheryl Burke — Tango — Cheryl was named after Cher. Jack got his first 10 last week. He thought this was going to be the cheesiest experience of his life, but he’s into it now. And now he’s dancing to a Cher song, so it kind of is the cheesiest, but in a good way. They’re intimidated by Cher, but all of these rehearsal packages are probably geared toward getting Cher on their good sides before they even step on the dance floor.
JUDGES: Carrie Ann said Jack is so confident and what a difference it has made. Everything looks refined when he does it. He looks like a statue, like a god out there. (?) Cher said she thought it was great. “You looked like a pimp.” The definition of great! Bruno said that’s what the Tango is all about - “the pimp and the hooker!” (!) That was a proper classic Tango and Jack has grown so much.
SCORES: 9, 9, 9 = 27 out of 30.
Vote for Jack & Cheryl: 1-800-868-3402
IF CHER COULD TURN BACK TIME: She’d go back to the ‘80s. She had so much fun in the ’80s she couldn’t tell you. Maybe too much fun.
7. Amber Riley and Derek Hough — Rumba — If these two get the highest score that will break the three-way tie. Amber got injured again this week — she got admitted into the hospital due to a tear to one of the tendons in her knee. He brought Witney from the troupe in so Amber got sit and watch. Amber felt a little weird about the Rumba, since it’s romantic with her buddy Derek. She has a bunch of sailor boys with her — the pro boys. Lucky girl! She rips off Derek’s shirt - battle of the shirtless pros! It does seem like Derek is stealing this dance away — where’s his sister to point it out?
JUDGES: Cher said she loved it, she owned it, it was fabulous. Bruno said that’s a girl on top, she knows what she wants and she gets it. Bruno said she was the one in charge, leading the dance. She was selling it and he bought it. Carrie Ann said Amber undulates like nobody else and it’s pretty awesome but she felt like it wasn’t Amber’s best dance. Everybody else is riding the edge and she was sitting back just a hair. She wants more from Amber. (Fair.) Derek and Val both covered their nipples tonight.
SCORES: 9, 9, 10 = 28 out of 30. Was that just so they could break the tie? This is now the second Dance Off in a row that Derek won. He also won immunity last season with Kellie. History repeating itself.
Vote for Amber & Derek: 1-800-868-3407
CHER PERFORMS AGAIN: Love her huge black wig/hairpiece! So Cher. Tony and Tyne dance to “I Hope You Find it."
*****DANCE OFF CHALLENGE*****
Amber and Derek are immune.
1. Corbin & Karina vs. Elizabeth & Val
Corbin and Karina have the highest cumulative scores and they picked Elizabeth and Val to dance against. E & V picked Cha-Cha. Great match-up! Love when it’s one powerhouse vs. another.
Judges: Carrie Ann said the competition is so tight tonight. They both nailed it. Bruno said one was tight and clean, the other was sultry or sexy. It was red or black, like being in Vegas. Cher said it’s fascinating how different people interpret the same idea.
Scores: Carrie Ann picked Corbin & Karina, Cher picked Corbin & Karina, Bruno also picked Corbin & Karina.
Corbin and Karina get 3 points.
2. Brant & Peta vs. Leah & Tony
Brant and Peta picked the couple, Leah and Tony picked Rumba. Peta was definitely not wearing a Rumba outfit, but they went for it.
Judges: Bruno said again it was wonderful from both of them. He loves when Brant gets into Latin lover mode, and Leah gets sexier and sexier. Carrie Ann said the Rumba is the dance of love and getting that quality out, Leah nailed that. Brant was a leading man. He could’ve had more hip action, though. Carrie Ann always nit-picks Brant! Cher said she was enthralled with both. It’s hard for her to pick.
Scores: Leah & Tony, Leah & Tony, Brant & Peta.
Leah & Tony get 3 points. Poor Brant keeps getting robbed for some reason.
3. Bill & Emma vs. Jack & Cheryl
They got Disco, since that was left over. Bill just did that dance, so that’s in his favor. Fun spins, but they didn’t seem to practice Disco content too much. Love Emma’s feather butt costume. Another ambitious lift-spin from B & E!
Judges: Jack surprised her since she didn’t think he’d pull it off. (But she loves everything Jack does.) Cher thought it was funny how Bill tossed Emma and left her. Bruno said Jack turned Disco into dirty dancing.
Scores: Jack & Cheryl, Jack & Cheryl, Jack & Cheryl
3 points for Jack & Cheryl. But Bill & Emma were immediately announced as safe.
****WHO GOES HOME SIXTH?****
Who is safe: Amber & Derek and Bill & Emma revealed safe first, then Elizabeth & Val. They were so relieved! Next safe = Corbin & Karina. Also safe = Leah & Tony.
Not necessarily the bottom two: Jack & Cheryl and Brant & Peta.
Who is going home on Week 8?
Poor Brant. He and Peta knew it would be them unless they won the Dance Off. And her costume was so perfect. Alas. And Brant and Jack had such a great fake feud! Dang you, Carrie Ann Inaba for always nit-picking Brant!
What’s this experience meant to him? He learned something he never thought he’d learn. He’s very grateful for the opportunity. Peta said Brant’s just an amazing guy, she had the best time. She thanked him for making every day a pleasure. Classy couple.