And we’re off! The Dancing With the Stars Season 18 cast was just revealed, with both gold-medal-winning Olympic ice dancers competing alongside a Paralympic athlete, a record-breaking swimmer, a hockey player, two teen crush singers, a comedian, two late '80s/early '90s TV stars, a Star Wars hero, and a Real Housewife.
On one hand, it’s DWTS’s usual mix of athletes, pop stars, nostalgia stars, etc. On the other hand, we have our first double-amputee dancing in Amy Purdy, and potential experts dancing in Charlie White and Meryl Davis. Remember how Kristi Yamaguchi dominated Season 6? And she was a figure skater, not an ice dancer!
Charlie and Meryl seem like they have a bit of a technical advantage — which isn’t necessarily a bad thing — but there’s always the Bill Engvall factor to consider. For every fan backing a “great” dancer, we have a few backing “underdogs.” It’s hard to know who has skills at this point, but the underdog factor may help our two celebs over age 60 — swimmer Diana Nyad, 64, and Lando Calrissian himself, Billy Dee Williams, who is 76.
Here’s the lineup:
• Danica McKellar and Val Chmerkovskiy
• Cody Simpson and Witney Carson
• Billy Dee Williams and Emma Slater
• Diana Nyad and Henry Byalikov
• NeNe Leakes and Tony Dovolani
• James Maslow and Peta Murgatroyd
• Sean Avery and Karina Smirnoff
• Drew Carey and Cheryl Burke
• Candace Cameron Bure and Mark Ballas
• Charlie White and Sharna Burgess
• Meryl Davis and Maksim Chmerkovskiy
• Amy Purdy and Derek Hough
Who are you most curious to see in action? Who are you most surprised to see cast? Do you already know which couple will get your votes (at least until “The Switch Up” twist)? Sound of on the new cast in this poll — then share details in the comments below, if you care to!