If the big-screen counterpart to John Green's tearjerker young adult novel, The Fault In Our Stars, is half as good as the book, it'll be well worth the price of admission. ClevverTV's Joslyn and Dana break down some facts you need to know about the film before it hits theaters this Friday, June 6, but be warned: Mild spoilers are involved.
Let's break down the first 5 of their 7 things to know. Watch the video for the rest!
1. It's a love story about two teenagers, Hazel and Gus, who both have cancer. The pair's love is described as "miraculous" because of Hazel's oxygen tank and Gus's prosthetic leg. The story has moved so many that the book is still on the bestseller list, years after it came out.
2. Author John Green is kind of an icon… aside from the book. Prior to releasing TFiOS, John was well-known as one half of the VlogBrothers, along with his brother, Hank. Since he's so invested in the medium, it only follows that he started VidCon, an annual online video convention.
John had made waves as an author before TFiOS, too, from another novel, Looking for Alaska. While it didn't hit the bestseller list until 2012, the 2005 novel stirred controversy as early as 2008 for content that some considered too explicit for young adult readers.
3. The cast is super-buzzworthy. Flower-child and Secret Life of the American Teenager alum Shailene Woodley (Hazel) heads up a cast that includes her Divergent co-star Ansel Elgort (Gus), supported by Palo Alto's Nat Wolff (their friend Isaac). But it's not just the teen cast that has us excited!
Legendary actress Laura Dern (Jurassic Park) plays Hazel's mom, alongside True Blood's Sam Trammell as Hazel's dad. Willem DaFoe (Spider-Man) also plays a crucial role.
Fun fact: Shailene and Ansel play siblings in Divergent, which is kind of weird.
4. Watch out for Amsterdam. Hazel and Gus make a trip to Amsterdam in the film, as they do in the book — making it one of the most anticipated parts for fans of the novel. It's a "big turning point for the characters" in many ways, say Joslyn and Dana.
5. Ed Sheeran is a super-enthusiastic participant in the soundtrack. Ed Sheeran was so excited to hear about the film project that he volunteered to be a part of it! The 23-year-old singer-songwriter apparently had the perfect song waiting in the wings for the effort, which will play during the closing credits.
Watch the video for all of Joslyn and Dana's scoop on The Fault in Our Stars, and let us know your thoughts below!