As you'll notice on tonight's Game of Thrones Season 4 premiere, Daario Naharis has been recast. Michiel Huisman is the new actor tackling the role, so we figured we should get to know him a little better. After all, if he’s going to sweep Dany off her feet, he’s got to be more than just a pretty, bearded face!
Here are five things to know about Michiel!
1. He’s a musician. Michiel is a singer-songwriter and also plays guitar. In 2005, he released an album in Dutch called Luchtige Verhalen. Wait, why is it in Dutch?
2. He’s Dutch. Ah. Michiel was born in Amstelveen, Noord-Holland, Netherlands. We’re guessing he’ll fit right in on Game of Thrones, which already features a very international cast, including fellow Dutchman (er, Dutchwoman?) Carice van Houten, who plays Melisandre and with whom Michiel co-starred in the Dutch film Black Book.
3. He’s an HBO alum. Michiel is one of the stars of Treme, and appeared in all 31 episodes of the show’s first three seasons on HBO. In the show, he plays Sonni, a musician with a drug problem. Wait, there are other kinds of musicians? (We kid.)
4. He lives in New Orleans. Michiel fell so in love with the city while working on Treme, he decided to move there! He and his wife bought a house to renovate in New Orleans, and Michiel says it’s not so different from his hometown in The Netherlands, explaining, “It’s kind of that small-town feel, although it's not necessarily a small town. I see it better now than when I lived there.” Who knew?
5. He starred in a pilot for a comic book show. Michiel recently starred in a pilot for NBC titled Sixth Gun, which is based on a comic book series of the same name. The series was about a Civil War era gunslinger, played by Michiel, who was searching for a gun that possesses magical powers. While the show ultimately wasn’t picked up by NBC, it at least establishes some nerd cred for Michiel leading up to his run on GoT!
Do you like this recasting? Let us know in the comments below!