Game of Thrones fans know Aidan Gillen best as the ambitious and mysterious Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish, but, much like on the show, there’s a lot going on under the surface. Here are five facts about Aidan that even the most ardent GoT fan might not know.
1. He knows Batman. Aidan had a role in 2012’s The Dark Knight Rises, where he shared the opening scene with villain Bane. It did not end well for Aidan’s character.
2. GoT isn’t his first HBO drama. Seemingly drawn to well-acclaimed dramas produced by the American premium cable network, Aidan starred in The Wire before landing his role on GoT.
3. Acting is in his family. Aidan’s sister, Fionnuala Murphy, is also an actress, having appeared in the film The Snapper, among others.
4. He’s been nominated for a Tony. In 2003, Aidan earned a Tony for his role in the play The Caretaker, which also starred such well-known actors as Patrick Stewart and Kyle MacLachlan.
5. He likes playing the bad guy. Littlefinger’s motive are ambiguous at best and downright slimy at worst, but Aidan wouldn’t have it any other way. He tells The Guardian about his choice of roles, “Many American actors don't really want to blot their résumés by appearing as scumbags. British actors — and Irish ones too if I’m anything to go by — are less bothered about playing disgusting or even flawed people. They’re often the most interesting roles.” Littlefinger certainly is interesting!