Game of Thrones fans know Iain Glen best as Daenerys Targaryen’s right hand man, Ser Jorah Mormont, but, much like on the show, there’s a lot going on under the surface with this guy. Here are five facts about Iain that even the most ardent GoT fan might not know.
1. He’s a gamer. Well, he at least has starred in some movies based on video games. Iain appeared alongside Angelina Jolie in 2001’s Lara Croft: Tomb Raider as well as two films in the Resident Evil series: 2004’s Resident Evil: Apocalypse and 2007’s Resident Evil: Extinction.
2. He has serious nerd cred. In addition to starring in GoT and the aforementioned video game movies, Iain has also had roles in Doctor Who and the comic book-based film Kick Ass 2.
3. He teaches his kids swear words. Iain tells Westeros.org about his somewhat unorthodox approach to parenting, stating, “I have a five-year-old and I have taught her every single swear word I know, and when to use it accurately. It gives me endless amusement. I’m not your typical parent.”
4. He doesn’t mind public nudity. While Iain is one of the few GoT stars who has not bared any skin on the show, it sounds like he’d be ok with it if he had to. He tells the Daily Mail, “It’s a personal quirk, but I’ve never minded being nude in public.” Yeah, we’d say that’s a quirk.
5. GoT isn’t the only big-time drama he’s starred in. When he wasn’t donning chain mail as Ser Jorah on GoT, Iain was playing the role of Sir Richard Carlisle on Downton Abbey. What’s next? A turn on Mad Men with a third spelling of “Sir”?