Game of Thrones fans know Stephen Dillane best as one of the contenders for the Iron Throne, Stannis Baratheon, but, much like on the show, there’s a lot going on under the surface. Here are five facts about Stephen that even the most ardent GoT fan might not know.
1. His son is also an actor. Stephen’s son, Frank Dillane, has had small roles in a few movies, including fellow fantasy Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (he played teenage Lord Voldemort).
2. He won a Tony! Many GoT actors are veterans of the stage, and Stephen is no exception. He won a Tony Award in 2000 for his role in The Real Thing.
3. He was a journalist. Before deciding to become an actor, Stephen worked as a journalist for three years for the Croydon Advertiser.
4. He studied hard. Stephen graduated from Exeter University a double major, earning degrees in both history and politics before going to drama school at Bristol Old Vic Theatre School.
5. He drugged his sister. Stephen claims his earliest memory to be, “Giving my sister ‘Smarties’ that I knew were pills.” Geez, was she trying to steal his throne?