Looking for scoop on Game of Thrones character Tyrion Lannister? We’ve got all the latest Tyrion pics, spoilers, videos, and news right here!
Tyrion Lannister (played by Peter Dinklage), of House Lannister, is one of HBO's Game of Thrones's most beloved characters. If only his father, Tywin Lannister, felt the same way. An outcast within his own family because he's a dwarf, Tyrion is a clever thinker with a knack for wielding influence, despite his outsider status.
In Season 1, we were introduced to Tyrion as a sarcastic, lusty man with a love of books and whores. He accompanied Jon Snow to the Wall basically for the heck of it. Unfortunately, his trip home was interrupted by Catelyn Stark, who arrested him for attempting to murder Bran — a big mistake, as it was actually the psychopathic Joffrey who gave that order. Cat hauled Tyrion off to The Eyrie, where his crazy sister Lysa Arryn tried to sentence him to death. Fortunately, the sellsword Bronn saved his life as his proxy in a trial-by-combat; they've been fast friends ever since.
At the end of the season Tywin appointed Tyrion to act as Hand of the King for Joffrey in King's Landing, a job he kept for all of Season 2. Over the course of the season, Tyrion made many strategic alliances while trying to outmaneuver his sister and prepare for Stannis's attack on the city. In Season 2, Episode 9: "Blackwater" Tyrion successfully used Wildfire to decimate Stannis's forces, which was a pivotal part of the victory. Unfortunately, all of the glory went to Tywin and the Tyrells, while Tyrion was "rewarded" with a demotion and an attempted murder.
In Season 3, Tyrion had to adjust to his new role as Master of Coin, an unenviable position. In Season 3, Episode 5: "Kissed By Fire" things were made even worse for him when Tywin declared he must marry Sansa Stark. Tyrion, who is in love with prostitute-turned-Sansa's-handmaiden Shae, was horrified. The unfortunate marriage went through, but he refuses to force himself on Sansa, despite Tywin's insistence that he must produce an heir.
Tyrion was introduced in Season 1, Episode 1: "Winter Is Coming."
Memorable Quotes (and Moments)
- "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
- "All dwarves are bastards in their father's eyes."
- "I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you are safe and happy, and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid."
- On how he would like to die: "In my own bed, at the age of 80, with a belly full of wine and a girls mouth around my cock."
- “I'm quite good at spending money, but a lifetime of outrageous wealth hasn't taught me much about managing it.”
- Every time he slaps Joffrey