Glee finds itself in a bit of an interesting situation now that the show has started filming Season 4. Rachel (Lea Michele), Kurt (Chris Colfer), new guy Brody (Dean Geyer) and potentially even more characters to come are now permanent residents of New York City, but the show doesn’t film anywhere near NYC.
Glee will continue to film most of its Season 4 scenes at Paramount Studios in Hollywood like it always has. Yet in order to make the NYC scenes more believable, they will need to toss in a few scenes here and there that show the actors walking around the streets of New York.
Glee shoots about one episode a week, but making the trip to NYC for filming once a week just doesn’t seem practical. So how will it work? Creator Ryan Murphy revealed back in June that the show plans to fly to The Big Apple about once every five weeks or so. They’ll film scenes for a bunch of upcoming episodes all at once, before returning to L.A. to film all the indoor New York City shots.
So far, Glee has made one trip to New York, which happened the weekend of August 11 and 12. The scenes filmed could show up in any of the first four episodes of the season, so don’t expect to see them all together at once.
Here’s a breakdown of what’s been filmed so far, organized by the day on which the shoot took place. Take a look!
Filmed on Saturday, August 11
1. A Brody-Rachel musical number
Rachel and her new potential love interest, NYADA upperclassman Brody, held hands and skipped down the streets of New York as they filmed a new musical number, which some have speculated might be part of the “Call Me Maybe” cover from Glee’s Season 4 premiere, “The New Rachel Berry.”
2. A Brody-Rachel scene in Washington Square Park
- In this scene, Brody flirts with Rachel at the park, and they take a cute picture together on her cell phone. It’s not known yet which of the first four episodes this scene is meant for.
3. Kurt and Rachel’s happy reunion
- We know that Kurt starts off Season 4 still in Ohio, but he’s with Rachel in New York sometime before Episode 4. This cute scene at the park where Kurt surprises Rachel could be in any of the episodes in between.
Filmed on Sunday, August 12
1. More Kurt and Rachel scenes.
After their happy reunion filmed the day before, Lea and Chris switched outfits and filmed more Kurt and Rachel scenes walking down the streets of New York City.
2. Rachel talks to Brody while he’s working out in the park.
Brody and Rachel meet again in a park, but they don’t look quite as friendly this time. Is it just us, or does she look slightly upset with him? In any case, Brody is looking even more attractive than usual. Anyone else think that he should wear workout gear more often?
3. An emotional park scene between Kurt/Blaine and Finn/Rachel at night.
Blaine (Darren Criss) and Finn (Cory Monteith) come to New York City for an emotional scene that will appear in Episode 4: “The Break-Up.”
- This scene will comprise the opening moments of a Glee’s version of No Doubt’s ”Don’t Speak”
- All four characters ended the scene in tears, prompting many fans to assume that both couples were breaking up. (Well, if you even consider Finn and Rachel together in the first place.)
- However, creator Ryan Murphy has told fans not to jump to any conclusions too soon. We know that four couples will be in danger of breaking up for good, but at least some of them are going to make it out okay.