Glee back for Season 5 this fall, and it will premiere on premieres September 26. But after Cory Monteith's (Finn) shocking and tragic death of a heroin and alcohol overdose on July 13, will Glee as we know it really ever feel the same again?
Here's a bit of what we know about the season so far:
- Glee Season 5 Spoilers: Three New Recurring Characters — All Girls
What do you think of the new additions?
- Glee Season 5: Another New Character Added After Cory Monteith's Death
So many new faces this year!
- Glee Season 5: American Idol's Adam Lambert Joins the Cast!
American Idol Season 8 runner up Adam Lambert is joining Season 5 in what appears to be a recurring role.
- Glee Season 5: Lea Michele Reacts to Adam Lambert Casting News
What does Lea think about her new celebrity co-star?
- Why Glee Season 5 Should Feature a Totally NYC-Based PlotIt's not going to happen this season, but we're still not sure about Season 6. What do you think: If Marley and the newbies all disappeared... and the show fully relocated to NYC... would you be on board with that (ahem) New Direction?- Does Glee’s Rachel Get the Part on Broadway?If she does, we certainly wouldn’t mind watching two seasons of Rachel Berry on Broadway!
- Glee Season 5 Spoiler: Guess Who Might Join a Band!
Is it who you were expecting?
- Glee Season 5 Cuts FIVE Original Cast Members — But Is It For Good?
Sorry, be right back. Sobbing.
- Glee Season 5 Promotes Five Cast Members to Series Regulars!
Okay, but this is cool. Congrats!
- A Klaine Proposal!?
At least, that's what it looks like... OMG!
THE CORY MONTEITH TRIBUTE EPISODE
Glee is currently working on a Cory Monteith tribute episode to honor the beloved star, who passed away suddenly on July 13 of a heroin and alcohol overdose. Details about the tribute are still being finalized, but information is already starting to come out about what this Season 5 episode will entail.
When will it air? Fox president Kevin Reilly confirms that the Cory tribute will be Season 5, Episode 3. Based on Glee’s Season 5 premiere date of September 26, it stands to reason that this episode will air on Thursday, October 10, 2013.
Season 5 will start off with a two-part tribute episode to The Beatles. Next comes Cory’s tribute. After that, the show will take a break for postseason baseball coverage before immediately returning with up to seven episodes. After that, a new new legal drama called Rake will take over the show’s timeslot until Spring 2014. Only then will Fox air the second half of the season.
Will Finn Hudson die? Yes. Glee creator Ryan Murphy confirms that Cory’s character will pass away.
Cory died of a drug overdose. Will Finn’s death be handled the same way? Fox president Kevin Reilly says that Finn’s death will “deal directly with drug abuse,” but creator Ryan Murphy later clarified that Finn will not die of a drug overdose. The show wants to bring awareness to the issues that led to Cory’s passing, though, so drugs will still factor into the storyline in some way.
Will there be anti-drug PSAs? Yes. Glee creator Ryan Murphy, as well as a number of Gleeactors, will all film drug-related PSAs to air alongside the episode.
How closely is Lea involved? According to Showbiz Spy, Lea is playing an important role in the planning and creation of the tribute for to her late boyfriend. “The producers are still going back and forth on what they want to do and clearing music for his tribute,” a source tells the site. "But most of all, Glee’s creative team is looking to Lea to give the final word on decisions that are being made for this season’s third episode, which will be an emotional tribute to Cory. The meetings are lengthy and Lea is a part of them to make sure everything is just right."
The mood is said to be very emotionally fragile on set, but know that the cast is leaning on each other for support, and we're glad to hear that Lea is getting the chance to be so deeply involved in this entire process.