Every Grey's Anatomy fan knows that Patrick Dempsey (Derek Shepherd) is absolutely McDreamy. But how much do you know about the star beyond his startling good looks?
While we might not have much to teach the most devoted Patrick fans, for those of you who haven't yet memorized his biography, here are seven crazy facts you may not know about this swoon-worthy actor.
1. He LOVES racecar driving. Acting may be Patrick's career, but racecar driving is his passion. And — surprise, surprise — he looks super hot while doing it.
2. He's a real life hero. He may only play a doctor on TV, but that didn't stop Patrick from coming to the aid of a teen who crashed his car onto Patrick's property. Patrick used a crowbar to get the kid out of the car.
3. He studied juggling when he was young. He even entered several competitions, and placed third at the National Jugglers Convention. He wanted to go to clown school.
4. He got married at 21 — to a woman who was 48! His wife at the time, Rocky Parker, was his manager and his best friend's mother; they divorced after seven years. Patrick remarried in 1999. He is still with his second wife, Jillian Dempsey, and they have three children together.
5. He wanted to be an Olympic downhill skier. Although he didn't achieve that dream, he was good enough to win the Maine State Slalom Championship.
6. He's dyslexic. Patrick wasn't diagnosed with dyslexia until he was 12, and he thinks it shaped him into the hardworking person he is today. "It's given me a perspective of – you have to keep working," he revealed to Barbara Walters (via People). "I have never given up."
7. He enjoys collecting antiques. He's a very multi-faceted man!
8. He owns a coffee chain. When beloved Seattle chain Tulley's Coffee filed for bankruptcy, he saved it.
9. He could have been on House. Before he landed the role of McDreamy, Patrick Dempsey was up for the title roll in the Fox drama, House. Now, that would have been different.
Catch the next new episode of Grey’s Anatomy on Thursday, May 9 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.
Source: IMDB, DownEast.com, People