Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes just couldn’t keep her mouth shut any longer … in a good way. After an outpouring of fan reactions based on Arizona’s (Jessica Capshaw) amputated leg, Shonda took to whosay to communicate her reasoning to the fans.
Here are the five things she had to say about Arizona’s missing leg:
- “It felt real to me that Arizona would lose her leg. That someone we love so much would go from being ambulatory to WORKING on being ambulatory, that we would begin to understand what it is like to be differently abled from watching a person we love BECOME differently abled.”
- Shonda stressed that Arizona losing her leg had NOTHING to do with the fact that she is a lesbian. NOTHING.
- Callie (Sara Ramirez) is not a hero, but rather a “good man in a storm.”
- “Callie and Arizona are going to have a fun romance-y, sexy love life again … So get ready for it – Arizona is gonna get her mojo back in a BIG WAY. And (spoiler alert!) it’s gonna happen before Valentine’s Day.”
- Shonda describes Jessica as fearless and admits that she loves writing for her.
Do you feel a little better after hearing what Shonda had to say? Do you think that Arizona losing her leg is a good decision? And how excited are you about Callie and Arizona’s romance-y moments?!
But there is one thing we can all agree on: Jessica is definitely FEARLESS.
Catch the next new episode of Grey’s Anatomy on Thursday, October 18 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.
Samantha Highfill is a contributing writer to Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter at @samhighfill.
Satisfy your Grey’s Anatomy addiction: Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter and Tumblr.