Grey's Anatomy Season 8 was a trainwreck for Cristina Yang (Sandra Oh) and Owen Hunt (Kevin McKidd) — and their shippers! While we're sure Sandra Oh and Kevin McKidd were happy to have a chance to flex their acting muscles, watching the dissolution of their marriage was definitely tough.
Some spoilers have indicated that Season 9 might be a different story for the troubled couple. But can they really make it work? Season 8 showed us all of the reasons Owen and Cristina are arguably better apart — but here are five reasons they might belong together anyway.
1. They understand each other's troubles. Both Cristina and Owen have suffered from PTSD at some point in their life. That means they each have an intuitive sense of what the other person went through, giving them a deep understanding of each other. It also means they can really support each other at their lowest points.
2. They've been to hell and back. Relatedly, this relationship has been through the worst and survived — multiple times. It's hard to destroy a bond that strong.
3. They both know life is precious. We're thinking Cristina's newest near-death experience might reorient her priorities a little bit. Owen, given his military history, should definitely understand how fleeting life can be, and how important it is to cling to what makes you happy.
4. They're both ambitious. Owen is now Chief, and Cristina is, well, Cristina. It takes a special kind of person to be in a relationship with someone as busy as either of them, but they understand how important the job is.
5. He is her person. While we like to think that Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) will always be Cristina's person in many ways, Cristina's realization at the end of Season 8 that Owen is kind of her person, too, speaks volumes. In the world of Grey's, where true love seems to exist, it's hard to deny that these two have the kind of special relationship that's very hard to break.
Do you want Owen and Cristina to get back together? Let us know in the comments bleow.
Grey’s Anatomy Season 9 will premiere on Thursday, September 27 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.
Rebecca Martin is an editor at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter @BeccaMartin47.
Satisfy your Grey’s Anatomy addiction: Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter and Tumblr.