10. Meredith: You’re driving awfully fast, Dr. Shepherd. The least you can do is wear a seatbelt.
Not that Derek listens to this sage advice. The man feels the need for speed, on the highway and in the operating room, and ain’t no one gonna tell him to pump the brakes. Especially not his Post-It wifey.
9. Lexie: So let’s see: opposite of badass. For what it’s worth.
Burn! Yeah, Alex needed to be snapped back into dark and twisty reality. He may think he’s a “legend,” but Lexie is there to put him in his place. Badasses don’t take women for granted, you fool.
8. Meredith: Owen’s perfect. He’s perfect.
After nay-saying for most of the episode, Meredith admits that, hey, Cristina has a pretty good thing going on. So when Cristina asks how Owen’s doing, Meredith tells her that he’s perfect, and then repeats herself for emphasis. “See the double meaning here? See it?”
7. Bailey: I’m busy holding myself together with tape and glue.
Poor Bailey can’t seem to ever find long-lasting happiness, and now she’s ending her latest relationship to focus on becoming emotionally sound again. Self-sacrifice: it hurts to watch.
6. Alex: I’ve had too much crazy for one lifetime.
Too true. Between Ava and Izzie (and now Lexie), Alex has had it with irrational behavior and just wants some normalcy. Jerk or no, the guy has a point.
5. Derek: I’m sorry, but I quit.
You’re not sorry, Shepherd. You’re glad as all get-out, as well you should be. Pushing a pen is much less fun than wielding a scalpel.
4. Meredith: Oh! Is this what I need to do to get cleared?
Zing! Meredith stumbles in on Perkins and Teddy making out and immediately assumes that Perkins is taking, uh, bribes. But Meredith also didn’t say she wouldn’t be willing to do it, now did she? Surgery withdrawal does funny things to a doctor — we’re just sayin’.
3. Meredith: We are not better.
Talking to Cristina, Meredith finally comprehends why Perkins won’t clear her or Cristina for surgery: the Twisted Sisters are still a bit too twisted to return to the OR. Hopefully admitting you have a problem is the first step to surgeon-reinstatement.
2. Bailey: This day was the worst day of my life.
...and that’s saying something because Bailey has had some pretty awful days between improbably-timed car accidents and falling bookshelves and harshly-critical fathers.
1. Cristina: I don’t know; I think you’re born simple or you’re born... me.
This line flat-out yanks on our heartstrings. Poor Cristina just wants a normal life with normal activities and a normal job. Instead her ambition puts her in these absurdly stressful situations that endanger both her mental and emotional well-being.