Now that we're eight seasons in to Grey's Anatomy, we realize not everyone remembers the details of what came before — only the most devoted fans have their Grey's DVD collections memorized front to back. We understand, and we're here to help. Earlier, we gave you the rundown on Season 1. So, if you need a quick refresher on what went down during Season 2, this is the place to be.
Major Medical Cases:
Season 2 was a great season for bizarre and frightening medicine. We had:
- The patient who had spontaneous, uncontrollable orgasms, which is apparently not as fun as it sounds.
- A bitter novelist who gave himself mercury poisoning by eating his own manuscript.
- Jake Burton, the unfortunate teen with calcium build-ups that left him looking like a lion. Sadly, he died while having tumors removed.
- Impaled together: Strangers on a train became friends after being impaled by a pole that held them together — but to remove it, the doctors had to let one of them die.
- The man with a bomb embedded in his chest. Talk about a nail biter. We're still not over the stress.
Character Introductions and Departures:
Derek, Meredith, and Addison: This season picked up where Season 1 left off: The arrival of Derek (Patrick Dempsey)'s estranged wife, Addison. Derek decided to try to fix their relationship, leaving Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) broken hearted. Meredith moved on with hot vet Finn Dandridge, briefly reunited with Derek in the finale, and ended the season torn between Derek and Finn.
Izzie, Alex, and Denny: Izzie and Alex (Justin Chambers) started a friendship that developed into a relationship, but they broke up as Izzie fell for Denny Duquette, a patient in need of a heart transplant. She and Denny fell in love, but heir relationship ended in tragedy after she purposefully cut his LVAD to get him the transplant. He died after asking her to marry him.
Cristina and Burke: Cristina (Sandra Oh) was still pregnant when Burke broke it off early in the season, but ended up losing the baby do to miscarriage after collapsing in the OR. They gave their relationship another shot, and end the season together.
George, Meredith, and Callie: George and Meredith has an awkward one night stand, but George eventually got over her when he fell for Callie.
Other notable developments:
- George gained confidence after he and Alex had to treat a patient in a broken elevator. George stepped up while Alex fell down on the job.
- Bailey was pregnant and had a son. At the same time, her husband got into a car accident
- Ellis Grey's struggle with Alzheimer's was an ongoing plotline this season.
- Meredith met her father for the first time in many years, and also learned that he remarried and had other children.
- Burke was shot and almost died, but survived thanks to Derek.
- Izzie quit at the end of the season.
Pick Me, Choose Me, Love Me: Meredith asks Derek to pick her over Addison.
"Stop Looking at My Va-Jay-Jay!": Bailey gives birth.
The end of the season: Izzie quits, Meredith wonders who to chose,
Catch up on Season 1 here. And for more Grey’s Anatomy, “like” us on Facebook at facebook.com/GreysAnatomyFansite and following us on Twitter at twitter.com/GreysWetpaint.