Gunman Opens Fire at The Dark Knight Rises Screening, Killing 12 (UPDATE)
UPDATE (9:31 a.m. ET): Aurora, Colo. police now say that 12 people were killed. It was previously reported that there were 14 fatalities. CNN reports that at least 38 were wounded. Warner Bros, the studio behind the film, has canceled the Paris premiere in light of the tragedy. Read more updates here.
The chaos is supposed to stay on-screen when fans watch The Dark Knight Rises, but the terror was very real in Aurora, Colo., early Friday morning, when a gunman opened fire at a theater, killing at least 14 people and wounding 50 others.
According to CNN, the heavily armed suspect — not immediately identified but believed to be in his early 20s — was wearing a bulletproof vest but was apprehended by police in a rear parking lot of the theater. Police seized a rifle and a handgun and the suspect reportedly did not resist arrest.
One movie patron told KUSA the gunman was wearing a gask mask when he released a smoke bomb and then he began moving through the theater to shoot at people.
According to RadarOnline, Aurora police chief Dan Oates said 10 people died at the scene and four others died after being taken to local hospitals. Six of the victims were taken to a nearby Children’s Hospital. They range in age from 6 to 31.