Harry Treadaway: 5 Things to Know About Penny Dreadful’s Frankenstein
Penny Dreadful’s version of Victor Frankenstein has a deep curiosity for all things, especially those things related to life and death. Chances are, if you’re watching Showtime’s new horror series, then you probably have your eye on the young doctor.
English actor Harry Treadaway delivers one of the strongest — and most grotesquely magnetic — performances in the series. We can’t help but be drawn toward Frankenstein and his little shop of horrors. But who’s the man behind the monster-maker? Here are five things to know about 29-year-old Harry Treadaway.
1. He’s a twin. Harry’s slightly older twin Luke Treadaway is also an actor and musician. They started doing National Youth Theatre at school and went to the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art together at 18. Even though they often go after the same jobs, they’re super supportive of one another. “There's no bitterness if one of us gets a job and one of us doesn't,” Luke told the Standard UK back in 2013.
2. Sometimes they work together. Harry and Luke made their big screen debut in 2005 in the cult film Brothers of the Head, in which Luke played the lead singer rock ‘n’ roll band The Bang Bang, who happened to have a conjoined twin, played by Harry. According to the Independent, they were joined by harnesses and prosthetics, including a five-inch bridge of flesh linking their chests together. "It was both amazing and terrifying for our parents at the premiere," Luke told the UK newspaper. "They had to watch Harry and I joined together and tear each other apart and go down a dark spiral of drink, drugs and depression. I think it was quite hard for them to watch us for the first time on the big screen."
3. He’s a trained cowboy. OK, so maybe he’s not going to use a lasso anytime soon, but Harry went to a six-week cowboy boot camp for his role in the 2013 action flick The Lone Ranger. “It was wonderful,” he told Flicks in the City back in 2012. “It’s every boy’s dream, I suppose, to be involved in The Lone Ranger and to ride a horse while shooting guns and being a cowboy.”
4. He plays guitar. Harry put his guitar skills to the test when he played guitar with his Lone Ranger costar Johnny Depp. “He can play guitar with the best of them,” Harry said of the experience. “It was wonderful.” He and his twin Luke formed a band called Lizardsun when they were in college.
5. He’s writing and directing his first short film! Harry is keeping himself busy these days. Aside from starring in Penny Dreadful, he also has a horror film with Game of Thrones beauty Rose Leslie coming out later this year. But it’s his behind-the-camera projects he’s most excited for. “I’m writing and directing a short film and am then shooting a photographic portrait project,” he told Wonderland magazine earlier this year. Talk about talented!
Do you like Penny Dreadful? (If you need to catch up, you can watch the first episode here.) Sound off in the comments!
Crystal Bell is an editor at Wetpaint Entertainment and our resident fangirl for all things The Vampire Diaries. Follow her on Twitter and Google+!