We're a whole four episodes into WGN's freshman drama Salem — and we're already hooked on the bewitching tale. The super-talented actress Janet Montgomery, who plays the powerful witch Mary Sibley, is obviously one of the reasons for the show's success.
The show just got renewed for a second season, and it looks like Salem will be on our small screens for a while. So let's get to know its lovely leading lady with five quick facts!
1. She Was Briefly Attached to Jeremy Renner. We're not sure who she's dating nowadays, but in 2011 the rumor mill was buzzing with reports of Janet dating Avengers actor Jeremy Renner! The pair supposedly met on a plane from Vancouver, BC to Los Angeles, and were spotted hiking together in Los Angeles and having European rendezvous. The pair has since moved on, but they'll always have Berlin. (Reportedly.)
2. You Recognize Her From Downton Abbey. This isn't Janet's first time at the period-drama rodeo! She guest starred in the Christmas 2013 episode of the Masterpiece Theater series as Freda Dudley Ward, a real-life English socialite.
"It's a good group of people, and the show itself is very stylized and cool," Janet told Zap2It of the experience. "If you're an English actor and you're asked to do an episode — especially the Christmas episode — of 'Downton Abbey,' you can't turn it down. It's like, 'Of course!'"
3. She Was Natalie Portman's Little Swan in Black Swan. Janet had a small part — Madeline, or one of the Little Swans — but what an amazing flick to be a part of, right? In this still, she's on the far left.
4. She Had a Run-In With the Law While Filming Salem. Co-star Shane West told Arsenio Hall a horror story about Janet's driving — she doesn't drive too often, and apparently she went 95 miles per hour when the speed limit was 75. "She was pulled over five minutes after she started driving," recounted Shane, "But the cop was so confused. He heard so many accents, he didn't understand what the heck was going on."
Apparently she was hauled down to the station, since it's policy in the area of Louisiana where Salem is filmed to collect any traffic fines from out-of-towners immediately. So the rest of the cast had to drive to the station to pay her $300 fine… but apparently the officer's wife offered the cast free donuts later. Free donuts! Hooray!
5. She Has a Dog Named Guthrie. Janet adores her dog Guthrie so much that he's on her desert island list. We're a little confused, though — if she and her dog are so close, why are there no pictures of the precious pooch on her Twitter?!
Are you hooked on Salem yet? Let us know in the comments!