Jordan Morlan, a 16-year-old from Louisville, Kentucky, was attempting to play a prank on his sister while he helped decorate for the upcoming holiday. He had intended to pretend to have hanged himself from a tree in a noose decoration, but in so doing, accidentally cut off the oxygen to his brain and fell unconscious.
Jordan’s mother, Ginger Rodriguez, was unable to cut the boy down from the tree before emergency services arrived, but he was quickly cut loose and taken to the hospital. Jordan had fallen into a coma, and after 12 hours, his organs began to fail and he soon passed away.
Ginger, while still grieving heavily after the death of her son this past Sunday, is speaking out about the incident in an attempt to make sure no similar tragedies occur.
Our hearts go out to the family and we will definitely be more alert for our own kids’ sake this holiday season. We hear about too many accidental deaths not to remain diligent, and we hope you will too.