Kim Kardashian Defends Her Decision to Donate Only a Fraction of Auction Earnings to Charity
Credit: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images    

Kim Kardashian

Kim Kardashian Defends Her Decision to Donate Only a Fraction of Auction Earnings to Charity

Kim Kardashian has been on a generous kick lately, hosting charity tag sales at her family home and donating money from eBay auctions to worthy causes — so why are some fans accusing the reality queen of being greedy?

Kim recently put many of her personal items up for sale on eBay, promising to donate proceeds from the sale to victims of Typhoon Haiyan, a move that initially earned her high marks from fans. However, when potential buyers went to check out, they were greeted with a message letting them know that only 10 percent of their money would go to charity, and the other 90 percent would go elsewhere — perhaps, some assumed, to the Kardashians’ already well-lined pockets.

After fans became incensed over Kim’s seemingly stingy donations to charity, the star took to her website to defend herself.

I feel compelled to speak about something that is in my head and my heart. Over the years, I’ve had to grow a thick skin. Being in the public eye, there are times I feel like I get criticized for any and everything I do. I’m used to it now. I just choose not to feed into negativity or become consumed by it,” she wrote.

“The problem comes in when I get attacked for giving and trying to help people ... I do it because it’s the right thing to do. So for people to attack me for giving 10% of my eBay auction sales to the people of the Philippines, that hurts. I do eBay auctions monthly and change the charity or church from time to time. I give 10% of all my earnings to charities, not just these eBay auctions."

As for how she came up with the 10 percent figure, Kim explained, "When the eBay numbers get broken down, the auction management agency that posts for me gets a percentage for all of their hard work, then eBay listing fees, end of auction fees, eBay Store fees, Paypal fees, etc., all add up to about half of the sale. Then I give 10% to a charity."

To her critics, she added, "Giving comes from the heart. We all need to be reminded of this as we celebrate the holiday season this year.”

It seemed pretty easy to hate on Kim for only giving 10 percent of the money from a charity auction to charity, but if she’s giving 10 percent of everything she makes to charity, well, color us impressed.

What do you think of Kim’s explanation? Do you think she should have been more transparent about how much the charity was receiving?

Source: Kim Kardashian on Celebuzz

12.10.2013 / 12:00 AM EDT by Sarah Crow
Related: Kim Kardashian, Celebrity, Gossip, News, Reality Gossip, The Kardashians, TV Stars

Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0