Fall means fun, football, and four-letter words (when your fave football team isn’t winning). If you’re preparing to attend a game this year, you don’t want to go empty-handed, as half the fun happens in the parking lot. That’s why we went in search of some of the best tailgating recipes, and shared five of them below:
1. Seven-layer Dip: No tailgate is complete without one of these. This one from Allrecipes.com and, although I’m not a Packers fan, the “G” in sour cream on top is really cute. Layered with cheese spread, bean dip, and topped with avocados, olives, cheese, and tomatoes, this is about as good as it gets. And it’s surprisingly easy to make!
2. Football Cheeseball: If you’re going full Martha Stewart, you’ve gotta try making this. It’s so aesthetically pleasing, your friends may hesitate to dive in. Once they find out it’s made with a combination of cheddar cheese, cream cheese, green onions, and taco seasoning, I’m guessing they’ll be willing to tackle the first bite.
3. Wisconsin Bratwursts: Okay, I’m a Midwestern girl at heart, so just saying “brats” brings out my heaviest Chicago accent. But it’s the taste that keeps me from becoming a vegetarian. Pre-cook them in onions, butter, and beer before you head to the game. Seriously – how can this not taste good? Don’t forget the hoagie rolls!
4. Texas Caviar: Everyone becomes known for a signature dip or app at some point, and this is mine. I’m asked to bring it to pretty much every party my friends throw. With diced jalapenos, Italian dressing, black eyed peas, corn, and more, it ends up with a sweet and salty flavor that is extremely addictive. I like to add Tiger Sauce for even more sweetness and kick, and I use “Mexicorn” instead of regular corn. YUM!
5. Juiciest Hamburgers Ever: At least that’s what Allrecipes.com claims! With an interesting combination of evaporated milk, eggs, Worcestershire, and cayenne pepper, we can see where this would be true. As the recipe points out, you can make them less mushy by adding more breadcrumbs, and more seasonings can be added to suit your taste.