In a tragic story, a teen from Lagrange, Ohio was pronounced dead due to an overdose of caffeine.
According to Fox News 8 Cleveland, authorities declared that 18-year-old Keystone High School senior, Logan Stiner, died after ingesting toxic levels of caffeine in powder form. The teen was found unresponsive by his brother in their family home, and was shortly pronounced dead.
Lorain County Coroner Steven Evans told the press that a toxic level of caffeine was found in Logan’s blood, which caused cardiac arrhythmia and a seizure. The Coroner added that while it’s not clear where Logan got the powder, he has seen an increase in the ingestion of powdered caffeine among teens.
It turns out that caffeine powder can be purchased over the internet, and can be mixed with other liquids such as soda or water. Just a mere 1/16th of a teaspoon of the powder is equivalent to a caffeine energy drink.
It’s unknown how much Logan ingested, since he was alone at the time of his death, but it’s easy to see how easily toxic levels could be ingested.
Logan — who was named prom king by his senior classmates — was described by the school’s principal as “a great athlete, top student, and overall excellent kid.”
Source: Fox News 8 Cleveland