We love our toddlers from the moon back — in fact, we already gave you five reasons why they’re so great — but boy, oh, boy, can they be a pain in the tushie. When those little personalities start coming out around 2 years old, watch out, because sometimes the results are a little hard to handle.
So while we couldn’t live a minute without them, and definitely wouldn’t want to, we asked moms what the top five worst things about toddlerhood are — a.k.a. the reason babysitters were invented!
1. They’re totally independent and insist on doing everything themselves. We’d put this one on the best thing about toddlerhood too, except that it can be a little rough on mom. Especially when you’re trying to get out of the house and the only person at home who can’t tie her shoes insists on doing it herself, making you late — once again!
2. They insist on picking out their own clothes. Watching your child’s fashion sense rear its head is cute until she ends up wearing a bathing suit, ski goggles, and a tutu to your parent’s black tie anniversary party. But don’t even bother making style suggestions. You’re just going to get shot down.
3. They act like drunk and rowdy frat boys. He runs around wild in the house, tearing up every room he enters and passes out minutes later, never cleans up after himself, pees all over everything in the bathroom except the toilet, can’t seem to keep food on his plate, and uses his clothes as a napkin. His mood can change on a dime from elated to hysterical, and he almost always wakes up in the middle of the night dying for water. Yup, just like in college.
4. They get into ev-ery-thing! Literally everything. She’s like a new puppy trying to mark her territory around your house, and finds her way into everything from your makeup (the good stuff) to your iPhone. Nothing is safe, nothing is sacred.
5. They’re a constant reminder that no means no! His favorite word is no. Are you hungry? NO! Do you want to take a nap? Oy, don’t even bother with this question, because the answer? NO! Let’s get ready for our playdate… you get the picture.
Before you start hitting the wine bottle before noon, remember, toddler years only last a short time and before you know it, they’ll be off at school all day long, so enjoy it while you can.