Zoey Deutch is Hollywood’s new cool girl. The 19-year-old actress — and self-described “emotional wreck” — most recently starred as kick-ass half-vampire heroine Rose Hathaway in Vampire Academy, and we’ve been crushing on her ever since. Zoey, who's every bit as outspoken and generally awesome as Rose IRL, is our new kick-ass role model, and she’s about to be yours, too. From her adorkable quirks to her snarky quips, Zoey is our new favorite celeb BFF.
1. She’s just as unfiltered as our other celeb besties Jennifer Lawrence and Mila Kunis. Let’s face it: interviews can be boring — like, really boring — which is why we appreciate when a star can go off-the-cuff. Zoey’s sarcasm and playfulness are just a few of the many reasons we love her. Zoey’s swagger — like J.Law’s and Mila Kunis’ before her — is far too confident and natural to be fake. She’s got bite (no pun intended).
2. She’s not into being famous. When asked to describe fame, Zoey had one word: “bulls—.” She added: “I don’t really get it. I’m not one of those people… I don’t understand it. It’s kind of fake, it’s all subjective to the situation in that specific time. I don’t really know where the line between fame and celebrity comes into play. I mean, some people have an easier time getting into a room if they’re famous. Some people have better opportunities if they’re famous I always get the question, ‘What’s going to happen if your movie is going to be a big hit and you’re going to be famous?’ I’m like, well, I guess there are things that suck about that, and it’s kind of bullsh-t. But it’s awesome because that means the movie did well and people enjoyed it. In that way, I can understand it. Other than that, I think it’s quite silly.”
3. She has an alter ego, and she’s even cooler than Zoey. “I have a Ukrainian alter ego; she doesn’t have a name, and most of my family and friends like her more than me,” she told Buzzfeed. “If I ever do anything wrong or bratty I usually just bring her out because she pretty much gets me back on track. You’re not going to get me to do it though — that’s a big reveal.”
4. She can quote Mean Girls. That’s so grool. She’s also been to a Mean Girls quote-along. Talk about fetch! See? Stars really are just like us.
5. She can totally kick your butt. In order to get ready to play the part of a dhampir, Zoey trained for three months, practicing different forms of martial arts, jiu-jitsu, krav maga, and kickboxing. So, yes, if you try and steal her slice of pizza, she will start throwing punches.
See? We told you Zoey was young Hollywood’s next It girl! For more of Zoey’s hilariousness, don’t forget to download your copy of Vampire Academy, available on iTunes and Amazon now. Trust us: there’s so much vampire hottie action at St. Vladimir’s Academy — Moroi and Dhampir, alike — you’ll definitely want to own it today!