When it came to funny lines and witty quips, this week’s Nashville did not disappoint, especially with Scarlett’s (Clare Bowen) assessment of her red boots. Here are our picks for the top 10 quotes from Season 1, Episode 5: “Move It on Over.”
10. Gunnar is as eloquent as always.
Gunnar (Sam Palladio) [to Hailey, about Scarlett]: She has a boyfriend, and I have a... a you.
9. Lamar might want to work on his pep talks.
Lamar (Powers Boothe) [to Teddy (Eric Close)]: Wasn’t the best debate performance I ever saw...
8. Let’s be honest: Thinking in general is overrated.
Deacon (Charles Esten): Thinking’s not your friend right now, Jolene.
7. Glenn needs his caffeine fix.
Glenn [about the coffee]: One of those had better be for me.
6. Deacon is not impressed.
Deacon [to Juliette (Hayden Panettiere), about avoiding her mom until she leaves]: That’s your big plan?
5. Avery really could teach classes on how to piss people off.
Avery (Jonathan Jackson) [to Gunnar, after their performance]: Clearly you meant to walk in and say thank you since I did you a favor today — probably just didn’t hear you.
4. Don’t worry, Deacon — we still love you!
Drunk guy [about Rayna (Connie Britton)]: I like it better when she sings.
Deacon: Most people do.
3. We all need to let out our inner deranged redneck sometimes.
Scarlett [on the phone to her mom]: Well, Jeanne said “the best version of myself,” so I thought maybe I’d wear my red boots, but then I thought maybe that was the deranged redneck version of myself.
2. The life of a professional musician is such a glamorous one.
Deacon [on whether they were done recording]: Oh, no. She’s just finally giving me a bathroom break.
1. In other words, cut it out.
Juliette [to Deacon]: You sound like a shrink I went to once. Once.