Between Miley Cyrus twerking on Robin Thicke and NSync’s epic reunion, the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards had more than a few OMG moments. But what really made us gasp were the moments you didn’t see on TV!
Wetpaint Entertainment was inside the Barclays Center for the big show, and we spotted your favorite celebrities mingling, dancing, and getting cozy when the cameras weren’t looking. Here are our top five OMG moments you didn’t see on your TV screen — from British pop-electro songstress Ellie Goulding holding hands with Ed Sheeran (and then getting cozy with One Direction’s Niall Horan!) to one NSync member’s embarrassing exit.
1. Bye, bye, bye Chris Kirkpatrick? OK, so we have to admit: even though it was the worst kept secret in VMA history, NSync’s on-stage reunion performance was pretty epic (even if the four non-Timberlake fellas’ moves looked a little worse for wear). In fact, the performance went off without a hitch — until the very end. After their performance of “Bye, Bye, Bye,” Justin went on to sing a jazzy version of his hit single, “Suit & Tie,” on the main stage, while JC, Lance, and Joey were lowered back into floor. Unfortunately, Chris didn’t get the memo, and his box failed to open. Poor Chris was left standing awkwardly on the side stage before jumping down through Joey’s box. At least you had your moment, right Chris?
2. Taylor loves to dance. By now, we’ve all seen the countless GIFs of Taylor Swift dancing at awards shows. And while it may seem like the 23-year-old performer is the object of every camera operator’s eye, it’s for a very good reason! She never stops dancing. Even during the commercial breaks, Taylor was dancing along to Biggie, The Beastie Boys, and more. It’s nice to know that Tay Sway’s moves are genuine!
3. Is Ellie Goulding the new Taylor Swift? Sure, her moves might not be as public — and as ridiculed — as Taylor’s, but British singer Ellie Goulding busted more than a few moves at the VMAs. In fact, we think Ellie was giving Taylor a run for her money! Not only was she thoroughly fan-girling during Justin Timberlake’s performance, but she and her BFF Rita Ora were adorably lip syncing to Best Male Video winner, Bruno Mars, during his performance of “Gorilla.”
4. Ellie and Ed? No, wait, Ellie and Niall?! Speaking of Ellie, the It Girl was seen with not one, but two British hotties during the night! Sure, Ellie may have been sitting behind Taylor and Selena at the start of the night, but she soon switched seats to sit by her bestie Rita, who also happened to be sitting by British singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran. The two were then spotted holding hands! However, before the night was over, Ellie found herself back in her original seat, but someone new had joined her — One Direction’s Niall Horan! Since the two were reportedly getting close at UK’s V Festival last weekend, we’re not sure what to make of Ellie’s game of musical chairs. Of course, the British music scene is relatively small, and these famous Brits may just want to stick together.
5. Drake kissed Taylor Swift’s hand. This is not a joke. We repeat. This is not a joke. One of the best things about awards shows is watching celebrities interact behind the scenes. Let’s face it: it’s not like these celebs see each other every day! So when Drake got up to say hello to Taylor during a commercial break, he kissed her hand. We knew Drake was a gentleman, but we had no idea the “Started From the Bottom” singer was that charming. Watch out, Drizzy. Sooner or later you’ll be the subject of a love song.
What were some of your favorite moments from the VMAs? Sound off in the comments below!
Crystal Bell is an editor at Wetpaint Entertainment and our resident fan-girl for all things Pretty Little Liars, The Vampire Diaries, Game of Thrones and Once Upon a Time. She speaks fluent geek. Follow her on Twitter and Google+!