It’s finally here, without any cheer. All the darkness, nudity, ghost sex, mangled infants, and bloody sheets have led to tonight. The finale of American Horror Story’s ridiculous and rapturous first season is called “Afterbirth,” and, despite keeping any major spoilers under tight wraps, we’ve gathered together all the clues and hints surrounding the penultimate episode, and put together a guide for you, dear reader.
Let’s start with the official promo, which we saw after last week’s episode, “Birth”:
- Ben Harmon (Dylan McDermott) will play a major role in this 90-minute episode. We see him debating suicide by gunshot-to-the-head, in what looks like Murder House.
- Vivien (Connie Britton) will go back to playing the cello! Sure, her audience is made up of murderous ghosts and dead kids, but we’re delighted.
- Everyone wants the surviving newborn. Hayden (Kate Mara) has a new gash across her neck (who got feisty with her?) as she cradles what is most likely Tate’s (Evan Peters) son. But Nora (Lily Rabe) is back to say the “baby is mine” line again (yawn).
- Constance (Jessica Lange)is borderline manic, going head to head with Ben. Why is she hiding the newborn in Agnes’ old, punitive room of shaming mirrors?
- Tate will be threatening dead Violet (Taissa Farmiga) with “I don’t want to hurt you!” Um, can he?
- Most exciting! What appears to be a brand new, boobacious woman, is in the Harmons’ bed, throwing Rubber Man off of her lingerie-covered body. It’s hard to tell, but we think she runs into the upstairs bathroom only to be confronted with Gladys rising from the tub. Typical Gladys. Then she runs down the hall straight into a wall where “RUN” is scrawled in blood. Poor, half-naked thing.
- Oh, and the red-headed demon twins have cuts all over their faces.
The sneak peek below of a scene from the episode shows Ben getting all possessive over the surviving spawn, demanding that Constance hand him over. There’s a funny moment when Constance says, “Oh right, your son.” Wink wink.
Then we have this super-sappy scene where Ben seems to be saying a final goodbye to Viv and Violet, in their ghost form. Both aggressively instruct him to “leave this house” with the baby.
Final pre-finale thoughts:
- We don’t see any evidence that suggests anyone knows that Tate is the supposed father of the surviving baby. Will anyone find out? Is that why Ben is contemplating suicide — because he realizes his baby died?
- What DID happen to the supposedly dead stillborn? All we saw for sure is Dr. Montgomery hand a very bloody and silent bundle to his waiting wife Nora. Are we going to see the creation of Infantata #2?
- Why does Rubber Man look so fat? Who else will wear the suit in the finale?
- We’re not fans of figuring out what the showrunners will do for Season 2, because, well, it’s just not any fun, nor is it productive. But! Will we get a definitive answer to the question of whether we’ll start all over with a new cast?
Enough questions. We’re just hours away from the answers. The finale airs on FX tonight, December 21st, at 10pm EST.
Sources: Spoiler TV, EW, E!