American Guns will not have a third season on Discovery Channel.
The show about a family of gun makers has drawn more attention since Friday's school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, but Discovery sources tell Deadline the decision to cancel the show was made a while ago — even though the cancellation wasn't made public until Monday.
"American Guns concluded earlier this year," a spokesperson said. "Discovery Channel chose not to renew the series and has no plans to air repeats of the show." Dirty Jobs and American Chopper were also recently canceled.
Fans inevitably took sides on the issue; here are a few comments with Deadline's story:
• "If it was cancelled due to low ratings…fine. If it was cancelled as a kneejerk reaction to a terrible incident..then it is questionable."
• "Will Discovery/PBS cancel all cooking shows – because there are 100′s more deaths from knives than guns. Are they going to cancel shows about Chicago – there have been almost 50 deaths in under three months – that would be 50 killers – not to mention those who did not die. Dumb excuse to stop the show."
• "Here we go again. Those that were not at fault will pay for those that were."
• "Somehow I’m not surprised. Bowing to liberal pressure and political correctness. The more I know about Discovery, the less I want to do with them. What’s more, I never even watched the show. This just goes to show the extreme mentality these days. I don’t need it…."
• "The show was mediocre at best. It somehow managed to be worse than Sons of Guns, no easy task. If anything, Discovery is trying to score points off a decision they made long ago as if they are reacting to public sentiment. If they were making money on the show, they would not cancel it. The media is absolutely that ghoulish."