It's been a week since the news broke that Katie Holmes filed for divorce from Tom Cruise, ending their five-year marriage. Since then there's been a barrage of news about the split, their future, and Katie's current state of mind.
To help you keep up with all things TomKat Tom and Katie, here is a roundup of the most noteworthy post-split news.
Why Did She File?
- Katie cited "irreconcilable differences" when filing for divorce, which is a fairly ambiguous reason, and they are keeping the details private... for now.
- There are conflicting reports about what role Scientology — especially its instructions for how to raise a child — played in Katie's decision to leave Tom.
- Whatever the reason, sources suggest Katie was planning the divorce for some time. There are rumors that Katie rented her new apartment several weeks before filing for divorce, and a pre-divorce interview with Elle seems, in retrospect, to include a lot of hints about what was to come.
What About Suri?
- Katie is attempting to get sole custody of the couple's child, 6-year-old Suri Cruise. She and Suri moved into their own NYC apartment on the same day she filed the divorce papers. (Look inside the apartment with E! here.)
- Katie seems to be focusing on making sure Suri has plenty to keep her occupied during this difficult time. They've been spotted on several mommy-daughter outings, such as an ice cream break and a trip to a museum. Suri reportedly called her day out with Katie on Thursday (June 5) the "best day ever."
What's the Money Situation?
- There are conflicting reports about what Katie and Tom's prenup entails. At first, it sounded like Katie could walk away with $15 million, but a more recent report suggests she will get little beyond what she came into the marriage with (though she is insisting on child support).
How Is Katie Doing?
- Katie seems to be doing well. On Monday (July 2) she was spotted without her wedding ring at a Project Runway filming, where, according to Isaac Mizrahi, "she was engaged, articulate, and wonderful."
- Katie seems to be together and focused on herself (and Suri!). Along with the Project Runway appearance, she is also planning to show her fashion line at New York Fashion Week in September.
- Of course, divorce is hard. Katie was spotted having a tearful phone call on Thursday (July 5).
And What About Tom?
- A source says Tom had "no idea this was coming" and is "totally devastated and heartbroken." His rep says he is currently focusing on his children.
- Tom spent his "very, very sad" 50th birthday (Tuesday, July 3) with his children Connor and Isabella and extended family.
Rebecca Martin is an editor at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter @BeccaMartin47.
Get your daily TV and pop-culture fix from Wetpaint Entertainment: Like us on Facebook, or Follow us on Twitter!