After weeks of audition rounds, So You Think You Can Dance season 9 jete'd into high gear this week by naming the Top 20 contestants who will compete to win the titles of America's Favorite Male and Female Dancer.
Nigel Lythgoe, Mary Murphy, and guest judge Zooey Deschanel of New Girl presided over the Top 20's first performances. Zooey loved every routine (shock), but crotchety Nigel made the whole group re-perform their final Mia Michaels-choreographed number because four dancers fell.
So now what, considering the changes to the show's format? To weeks from now (July 11), the paired-off dancers compete with no elimination. The following week (July 18) will be the first combined performance/results show.
1. Alexa Anderson, 19 (Contemporary)
2. Amber Jackson, 21 (Contemporary)
3. Amelia Lowe, 18 (Contemporary)
4. Audrey Case, 18 (Jazz)
5. Brandon Mitchell, 27 (Stepping)
6. Cheyon Wespi-Tschopp, 23 (Ballet)
7. Cole Horibe, 26 (Martial Arts Fusion)
8. Cyrus "Glitch" Spencer, 22 (Animation)
9. Daniel Baker, 24 (Ballet)
10. Dareian "Dare" Kujawa, 20 (Contemporary)
11. Eliana Girard, 21 (Contemporary Ballet & aerialist)
12. George Lawrence II, 19 (Contemporary)
13 Janaya French, 20 (Lyrical Contemporary)
14. Janelle Issis, 24 (Belly Dancing)
15. Lindsay Arnold, 18 (Latin Ballroom)
16. Matthew Kazmierczak, 21 (Contemporary)
17. Nick Bloxsom-Carter, 20 (Ballroom)
18. Tiffany Maher, 19 (Jazz)
19. Will Thomas, 19 (Contemporary)
20. Witney Carson, 18 (Latin Ballroom)
Watch the Top 20 group performance below. Do you think Nigel was too hard on them?