Stay home and watch the ball drop on TV? Please. When it came time to ring in 2013, celebrities scattered the globe to go behind the velvet ropes at the hottest bashes in town. Who was where? Wetpaint Entertainment breaks it down for you:
- Newly engaged songbird Brandy and fiancé Ryan Press had double the reason to celebrate. So when they hit Lavo nightclub in Las Vegas, they were presented with a cake topped with a candied diamond ring. Of course, it was no match for the real sparkler Brandy is now sporting on her left hand…
- A few blocks down on the Las Vegas strip, American Idol judge and party gal extraordinaire Nicki Minaj hosted Angel Management Group’s party at the hotspot Pure in Caesar’s Palace. When asked about her New Year’s resolutions, she told a fan, “I’m not buying any more shoes.” Uh, we have a feeling that one won’t last long.
- Also in Vegas? Hilary Duff’s big sister, Haylie, who celebrated at the newly opened restaurant Andrea’s in Encore Las Vegas, where she dined on delicacies including salmon tartare, chili shrimp tempura, wagyu tataki, and crispy noodles before heading to the hotel’s nightclub Surrender to dance it all off.
- In Miami, a solo Zoe Saldana was spotted without Bradley Cooper, but still living it up with fellow celebs Gabrielle Union and Karolina Kurkova at the James Royal Palm. Earlier in the evening, she and her family had dined at the newly opened seafood hotspot Catch Miami.
- Miami’s hot weather also attracted VH1 stars T.I. and his wife, Tiny, who hit up rapper Future’s New Year’s Eve bash at Cameo Miami. After sharing a sweet kiss with his wife at midnight, T.I. took the stage for an impromptu performance with B.O.B.
- Ah, to be young, famous, and super-super-rich. Leonardo DiCaprio and new pal Jonah Hill started their celebration Down Under…and finished it in Sin City! “They partied at Marquee Star Lounge Sydney and left at 1 AM [local time], flew 13 hours to Vegas, arriving at 10 PM [in] Vegas, and went to Lavo to watch the fireworks,” a source told Page Six. Oh, to be a fly aboard that aircraft…
- Finally, the man who won over YouTube in 2012, Psy, took the stage in Times Square for the dropping of the ball in the Big Apple. MC Hammer joined him onstage for his performance of “Gangnam Style,” which — just as it did at the American Music awards — brought the house down.