Finally, Kelly Ripa has a man by her side. After auditioning what seemed like a zillion potential co-hosts, Kelly and the producers of LIVE! with Kelly and… chose former New York Giants star Michael Strahan to fill the seat vacated last year by the awesome and seemingly irreplaceable Regis Philbin. But other than the facts that Michael is really good at knocking people down (the onetime defensive end holds NFL records for sacks), has a Super Bowl ring (from the Giants’ stunning upset of the New England Patriots in 2008), and appears as an analyst on Fox NFL Sunday, what do you really know about him? We’re here to bring you up to speed on the important stuff!
- He knows German. Michael’s dad, who was a major in the U.S. Army, moved the family to a base in Manheim, Germany when Michael was in grade school. Michael even played some football at school in Germany.
- He’s fearless in TV commercials. Michael has made lots of ads, for companies like Vaseline, Subway, Dr. Pepper, and Right Guard. In the deodorant commercial, he plays himself as a golfer who causes fans to pass out when he lifts his arms.
- He’s fearless in TV co-hosting. To promote Magic Mike, his film about male strippers, Channing Tatum appeared on LIVE!. Michael Strahan, co-hosting that day, showed that he’s got game by pulling off his pants.
- Michael has not given up on love. Though he has been married and divorced twice (and has four children from those unions), Michael is once again engaged – to Nicole Murphy, Eddie Murphy’s ex.
- Michael’s youngest children are fashionistas. In 2006, when Michael and his second wife, Jean Muggli, were in the middle of contentious divorce proceedings, he complained about her spending $27,000 on clothes for their twin daughters, then twenty months old. His estranged spouse explained in court that her girls “like to be accessorized.” In fact, one of the twins, Isabella, “does not like to leave the house without a purse” said the then-Mrs. Strahan.