In “Boyfriend,” Justin Bieber quasi-raps, “If I was your boyfriend, I’d never let you go.” Apparently that’s all false advertising, since the Biebs and his girlfriend of nearly two years, Selena Gomez, are no longer.
So what caused the 18-year-old music mogul and the 20-year-old Disney starlet to go their separate ways? Here are five signs that Jelena was headed toward splitsville.
1. Touched by an Angel? After their split, but before the news broke, Justin may have gone on a date with a Victoria’s Secret model. READ MORE
Wooed by a werewolf? Selena has been spending more time with her Wizards of Waverly Place co-star Gregg Sulkin, who is reprising his role as werewolf Mason Greyback in the show’s upcoming one-hour special. READ MORE
2. Hot Ready Legal. Selena was having some trust issues, possibly as a result of Justin’s new sexualized image. That “Hot Ready Legal” Rolling Stone cover of August 2012 still makes us cringe. READ MORE
3. Gettin’ busy. Their hectic schedules also reportedly played a part. READ MORE
4. A secret history. Back in July, rumors leaked that they’d broken up multiple times in the previous months. READ MORE
5. “Lingse.” Justin posted some seriously emo photos to Instagram in late October, along with the word “single” scrambled. READ MORE