So far, fans seem divided on whether or not they find Once Upon a Time in Wonderland as magical as Once Upon a Time proper, but there's one thing everyone can agree on: The Knave, played by Michael Socha, is freaking awesome. Even if there was nothing else about the show we enjoyed (and there's plenty), he would make the sometimes downright painful CGI totally worth it.
For those of you who haven't given Wonderland a chance yet, here are five reasons you should give the show a shot just so you can meet The Knave.
1. Who doesn't love a good redemption arc? As the name implies, The Knave hasn't always been on the up and up. In fact, he's left a whole lot of people very angry. However, this rogue is slowly but surely proving himself to be a real friend and ally to Alice — even if he claims he just wants to win a wish from her. There's a reason writer Jane Espenson even compares writing for The Knave to writing for classic bad guy turned good Spike from Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
2. He's witty. Another similarity The Knave shares with Spike: his sardonic wit. No matter how insane the goings on in Wonderland become — and they've gotten plenty wacky already — he can always find a way to make humor out of the situation.
3. His friendship with Alice. It's all too rare to see solid male-female friendships on TV, and we're loving the dynamic that has developed between The Knave and Alive, who is pretty awesome in her own right. We're excited to see exactly how far they'll go for each other as the danger mounts.
4. His complicated love story. Forget Alice and Cyrus — it's The Knave and Anastasia, AKA The Red Queen, that we really want to know more about. How did they go from happy couple to estranged enemies? We can't wait to find out!
5. Michael Socha. While The Knave is a well written, well conceived character, none of this would have as much impact if it weren't for Michael Socha, who's a star in the making. He brings an easy charm and likability to his character, effortlessly making us believe The Knave is a good guy at heart, even when he's acting shady.
Why do you love The Knave? Let us know in the comments below!