With Once Upon a Time Season 2 already a distant memory (it's been a whole week and a half!), we're turning our attention to Season 3. More specifically, to what we want to see in Season 3. Today, we're talking about what we're hoping Regina's (Lana Parrilla) story will look like.
Obviously, we can't predict her actual plot lines, because so little is known about the season. But we can talk in broad strokes about what we'd love to see the writers do with Regina, based on what they did (and didn't) do with her this year.
Here's our Regina wish-list for Season 3:
1. Consistency. This season, we got whiplash watching Regina flip-flop between trying to be good and throwing it away for full-on evil over and over. What we want to see from Regina in Season 3 is a consistent arc. We're not particularly picky about whether that arc is a slow creep towards redemption, a spiral back into evil after her self sacrifice in the finale, a single rise and fall (or fall and rise), or something else entirely. Just ... pick a plan and stick to it, please, writers.
2. Recognition that she's not just a victim. Regina has had a hard life. She's been manipulated by powerful people using her as a pawn. We get it. But in Season 3, we'd really love to see her start to acknowledge her own culpability in the way she is viewed by others, especially if we're supposed to continue to see her as anything other than a pure villain. We got a bit of that in the finale, and it was glorious.
3. More interactions with Emma. Emma and Regina's rivalry was a core component in Season 1, but their interactions were missing from much of Season 2. The finale fixed that while also moving the relationship to a new place, and we really hope to see more of them in Season 3.
4. More interactions with Rumple. Lana Parrilla and Robert Carlyle are two of the most talented actors on the show, and they always spark in their scenes together. Now that Regina and Rumple are stuck on a ship together, we hope the writers utilize the situation by throwing them together as often as possible.
5. More glorious Evil Queen. We had a lot of flashbacks to Regina pre-Evil Queen in Season 2. Those were interesting, but let's be real: we miss the over-the-top villainess. Given that Regina's present day arc seems to be heading towards redemption, let's see more of the villain in the flashbacks!
What do you want to see from Regina in Season 3? Sound off in the comments below.
Rebecca Martin is an editor at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter @BeccaDMartin.